Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horray for 32 bit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Horray for 32 bit Reply with quote

My PC went bang. I put out feelers on tinterweb and got rewarded with a free Dell tower.

The PC was old enough to boast it was sporting a Pentium 4 processor and Windows XP.

I was not putting up with XP though. I reached for my trusty Mint install stick, almost forgetting it was 64 bit.

So I grabbed a 32 bit iso version using my wife's computer. No joy either. Flipping thing was designed in an era where USB booting was unheard of.

So I got out my shiny new LXF DVD with Mint 16 on. Luckily for me, it was 32 bit and it installed just fine. In fact, I'm typing this on that very machine.

So please, when people like me (or me of the past) come along and say we don't need 32 bit on the disc, point them at this way and let them read why we do.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
net-knave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you've changed your position on 32bit heiowge.

I wasn't active on the forums during the 32bit/64bit discussions last year, but looking back at those threads I would have argued strongly in favor of 32bit for the exact reason you've cited here.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because I never saw myself needing to go back to 32 bit.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: