Using TV CAM socket to power RPI?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Using TV CAM socket to power RPI?

Postby Xraynorm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi.

I have a old LCD TV which I am going to attach a Raspberry Pi to. There is no USB on the TV to power the pi, so I will use use a normal micro USB charger. However, the TV has CAM socket which I believe are PCMCIA slots, and PCMCIA to USB adapters can be bought of ebay cheaply. Obviously im not expecting the USB port to work fully, but I wonder if it will pass through the power so it could run the pi?
C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200 + 030, AMD K62-500, Sempron 2200, P3 Laptop, P4 Laptop, Acer One Netbook (Linux).
Xraynorm
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:31 am

I'm not familiar with that connector but.

The Rpi input voltage must be between 4.75 and 5.25. Check the PCMCIA output voltage with a multimeter. Providing it's in the correct range. I don't see why You couldn't cut off the micro usb cable and solder it to the pins on the PCMCIA.

PP
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:11 am

If there are PCMCIA to USB connectors, it must provide at leasy 5V, but what about the current. The USB spec only requires 500mA whereas the Pi requires at least 700mA for stable use, more if you are using a wireless adaptor.

If you can pick up a PCMCIA to USB adaptor cheaply enough, I've seen them on Amazon for about a fiver, why not give it a go?

Ah, just had a look at the specs of one of the cheap ones on Amazon, the two ports only give 500mA each (which would be fine) when used with a power adaptor, which rather defeats the point. When used without the adaptor you only get 100mA per port.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Hardware