Blackberry

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Alex01UK » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:11 pm

> Like I said I agree commercially it may not make sense. But for a project why not.

In this instance, the project is that the original poster wants to fix his / her phone. The end result being a working phone.

Now, if you add up all the time spent on this, and remember to include all the time spent writing questions on forums, researching on the net studying the video explaining how to dismantle the phone etc It is false economy. You'd be better off going into work and doing a bit of overtime, and then buying a new phone.

> I have collected the phones and other tech over several years.
> It cost me ten quid for a bit of credit so the phone can dial out,
> less than a fiver for the relay and a little bit of hock up wire that
> I already had. Compare this to an alarm monitoring service.
> I'm winning.

So have I, I still have pretty much every phone I have ever owned, but I wouldn't dream of trying to fix one of them! For example, I needed a temp phone recently. It cost me £2 if I topped up with £1o when I bought it. Sure it's a basic phone, it sends texts, and it makes calls. At first I tried using one of my old phones, but the battery was gone so it used to go flat all the time even after a full charge, which is the last thing you need.

At lot of people don't seem to know, that one of the sms settings is how long your network keeps trying to send texts for. Nokia's I have used reset this to 1 hour whenever you change sim cards. A lot of people don't realise this, and it's often a tricky setting to find. So, for example, I send you a text, but your battery is flat, so it never gets delivered. I still get charged by my network though, and then I'm thinking why didn't you reply? Have I offended you or something?
Last edited by Alex01UK on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
User avatar
Alex01UK
LXF regular
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:15 pm

Okay, While I'll agree that an old PC may not be desirable to use as a main desktop. They still have uses.

A few years back I purchased an old IBM thinksomething which had a P4 HT CPU and 1GB RAM for £30 from Ebay.. It was an old corporate machine. While they had no use for it in a corporate environment it served me well as my first XBMC HTPC. I have since retired it as a HTPC. But it still purrs along wonderfully well running DouDou OS. My younger son who is 3 uses it every day and loves it. This machine is what at least 12 years old.

Why buy a new PC for £300 -£400 when an old £30 machine still has life left in it?

I also use another machine with similar specs as a headless File server. Running Ubuntu Server 12.04. Although I did upgrade the RAM to 2GB.

Don't get me wrong Alex I'm not trying to argue. I just don't agree with what you say about old tech being false economy. There are loads of uses for older tech.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Blissfully at the Command Line

Postby Alex01UK » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Something I saw in Cash Convertors recently made me laugh. A Sinclair ZX81, boxed for £40 The same price I got mine for in '82!
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
User avatar
Alex01UK
LXF regular
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Yep ok you got me there. It would be a bit of an expensive case for the RPI.

That is unless I already had one kicking around. If I did well. I'd chuck a Rpi inside it install an emulator and breath new life into it.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Blissfully at the Command Line

Previous

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests