xserver problem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

xserver problem

Postby leke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 am

I'm running Elementary OS and have the same problem as this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/159663/h ... rg-xserver
That is, I'm thrown out of X straight after login of my user account, but not the guest.

I've tried a bunch of stuff including:
recovery mode > fix broken packages,
deleting everything in ~/.config/,
removing the xorg.conf (ok, there wasn't a backup of the old file, so I just copied and removed the current),
this > sudo apt-get install nvidia-current,
loading an older kernel,
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg...

Does anyone have anything else I can try? It's not really so important, as it's the tv computer. I can just reinstall if it's a crazy problem.

Thanks.
leke
LXF regular

Postby leke » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:04 am

also ran sudo nvidia-xconfig to generate a new xorg.conf file (I noticed the original was pretty empty).
leke
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:40 am

Look at the log files, /var/log/Xorg.0.log and ~/.xsession-errors. Since it works as another user, this look like a problem with your user configuration. I've seen this type of thing happen because of incorrect file permissions, but the logs should give more of a clue.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Have you tried creating a new user?
If that works Ok, just copy everything but the hidden files to the new home directory.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby leke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:58 pm

I managed to create a new user, but couldn't log in to the gui (same problem as with the existing user).

I also checked out the xsession errors and Xorg.log file. The log file only seemed to mention everything connected. The xsessions did mention problems with the gtk engine module and also something about the passwords file. I couldn't copy the file to my usb stick though because I'm crap at mounting those things.
With pressure from the family to get this thing fixed, I just went ahead and reinstalled the OS.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
leke
LXF regular

Return to Help!