SOLVED GPT with 500GB disk

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SOLVED GPT with 500GB disk

Postby purplepenguin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:15 pm

This may seem like a silly question.

I have a computer with the new UEFI thingy. I'm about to reinstall my OS (Mint) and was looking at using GPT, as I read MS-DOS partitioning is now legacy.

All the tutorials I can find on-line talk about disks larger than 2TB. The disk I use is only 500GB. Is there a reason why I should not use GPT with a disk smaller than 2TB?

TIA

PP
Last edited by purplepenguin on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 pm

None at all, I have a 120GB drive in this laptop, using GPT. The tutorials refer to disks larger than 2TB because those need special treatment.

I use GPT on everything now, it avoids so many of the limitations and frailties of DOS partitioning.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby purplepenguin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks Nelz
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Return to Help!