lost password

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

lost password

Postby jebster » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:37 am

I partitioned my disk (from windows xp) and installed mint 12 some time ago, and have since lost my password. I hoped to be able to get on the web in a guest account but since going wireless I'm asked for a password to connect to the internet even in the guest account. I'm a bit of a newbie so the learning curve is steep. Will I have to uninstall/re-install mint 12? Or install yet another distro (15?). If I install another distro or version, how will I have it installed on the correct partition?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
jebster

Postby lok1950 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:47 am

Hi Jebster Mint 12 is a bit long in the tooth not sure if the Mint crew are maintaining a repo for it any more so no security updates . Now there is a way of overwriting the old password but I think you would be better off with a newer distro Mint 15 as that is what you are familiar with 8) the installer for it will usually find your Linux install and ask if you want to install over that partition and if you created a separate /home partition you get to keep all your data if you did not then with any live distro dvd/cd just copy them to some backup location(usb key/disc or even a dvd) the move them back once the install in complete.If you have any questions just post we are here to help(at least most of us :wink: )

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

There is no password for a guest account, or it is "guest", so the password you are being asked for is probably for your wireless connection. Reinstalling won't help with that, you need to go into your router's admin page and reset it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:56 pm

nelz wrote:There is no password for a guest account, or it is "guest", so the password you are being asked for is probably for your wireless connection. Reinstalling won't help with that, you need to go into your router's admin page and reset it.

In that case the wifi password should the same as used in XP

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Installing mint 15

Postby jebster » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:26 am

Thanks for the replies, although I think I should have been more clear. I'll re-frame my issue. I cant log into my regular (admin) level account because I've lost my password. When I try to connect to the internet through the guest account I'm denied (the ability to make changes or something) and prompted to log into the admin account, of which again I don't have the password. So what I'd like to do is install Mint 15. My questions about this are:
Can I download Mint 15 from the windows partition and place it on the Linux partition that already contains Mint 12? Can I leave 12 there and have 15 install over it/replace it on it's own? Do I have to uninstall mint 12 first? And is there anything else I have to manipulate in regards to the MBR or partitions?

Thanks again,

Jeff
jebster

Postby dandnsmith » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:52 am

You can certainly install Mint15 over the top of Mint12 (ie in the same partition) if there is enough room - but that won't help you if what you need is the router admin password.
You can also reset the Mint12 admin password from a LiveCD if you are knowledgeable enough.
I'm not sure about what you envisage about downloading using XP and installing - easiest is from a LiveCD or USB
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:21 am

Boot from a live CD such as System Rescue Cd, which takes you to a command prompt. You'll need to know which partition contains your MINT install, then run

Code: Select all
mount /dev/sdaN /mnt/custom
chroot /mnt/custom /bin/bash
passwd USERNAME

Where sdaN is your MINT root partition, the second command will bail out with an error
if you get the wrong partition, in which case, try again until you find the right one. The passwd command (use the correct username of course) will ask for your password twice. When it reports that your password is updated, press Ctrl-D to leave chroot and run "reboot".

System Rescue Cd is good for this because it boots staright to a command prompt as root and contains all you need to use a chroot.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!