printer installs - 50% OK, 50% nfg (so far)

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Thank you Neil for Mint 17 -64, it is fab.

Trying to install my printers I hit a brick wall as the terminal kept reporting "no such command " or no such dir" when I pointed it to the Downloads dir, so I slept on it. Further inspection caused me to notice that Mint had renamed Home as david's Home. (should I simply rename it or would it get me further in the mire?).
I remembered a recent article concerning Midnight Commander and got synaptic to install it.Scrolling down thro' /Downloads I noted that mc had set the path to ~/Downloads and it was all downhill from there, as I had written down the instructions last time. Samsung asked if I wanted a Test Page... er, yes please. In the folder with all the files was ./install,sh and this is what I used to install it.

1 down, 1 to go.

In the same way I set about installing the Epson inkjet driver, and it found it but rejected the ./install.sh as " no such file", I presume because no such file as part of the Epson driver.

I tried apt-get install (path to prn), but it would not play. Can anyone please show me the last step?

One last observation - during the install I noted that the exe files were referred to as ,deb (AMD64). I have an intel i5 chip. Is there any problem? - it seems to work very well!

Best regards

David
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:27 am

It reads to me like you are still getting used to (and perhaps a little confused by) the Linux directory structure. As a user, your top level user directory (where personal files and sub-directories are located) is represented by ~/ (eg /home/david). So, then ~/Download is equivalent to /home/david/Download.

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.co.nz/2008/ ... ained.html

One last observation - during the install I noted that the exe files were referred to as ,deb (AMD64). I have an intel i5 chip. Is there any problem? - it seems to work very well!

Debian (.deb) packages are not executable - they are a package file format (or container if you like) for installing software. They usually contain executable files, libraries, and documentation as part of a program or library being installed. These are usually installed via a package manager, or via the command line using apt-get (advanced packaging tool).

Windows often uses self-extracting executables to do this job, so that's the difference in a nutshell.[/quote]
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:33 am

I tried apt-get install (path to prn), but it would not play. Can anyone please show me the last step?

It's a good idea to cut and paste any commands you are typing and output/errors you're getting here. That way, its clearer for others to determine what the issue might be. Otherwise we're left to guess a bit about what you're doing.
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Thank you Ferrari for your kind help.

I am 72 and have suffered a number of strokes, so confusion is endemic, as is loss of confidence.

I have retained the driver in my /Downloads dir and I am trying to install it.

Code: Select all
david@david-H61M-D2H-USB3 ~ $ sudo apt-get install ~/Downloads epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package /home/david
E: Unable to locate package epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb'

As I stated, Mint displays my /home dir as david's Home, on my desktop. I was wondering if I renamed it to /home is this partof the problem?

Best regards

David
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:44 pm

David I think the command you probably want is
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

Apt-get is a different way of installing packages :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby ferrari » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Thank you Ferrari for your kind help.

I am 72 and have suffered a number of strokes, so confusion is endemic, as is loss of confidence.

Happy to be of help. I well understand the confusion. It happens to us all, and that's where the forums come in. :)

$ sudo apt-get install ~/Downloads epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

The mistake is a missing directory separator (/) between /Downloads and the file being installed. It should look like this

$ sudo apt-get install ~/Downloads/epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm not so familiar with deb-based systems (I'm run openSUSE with rpm package management), so towy71 is probably correct with specifying the use of 'dpkg'. I'm not sure if 'apt-get' can handle local file installation or not. (Our equivalent in the rpm-world is 'zypper' and it does handle this, and has the advantage of taking care of any dependencies at the same time.)
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 am

Locate the .deb file in your file manager, right click, open with packet manager or just double click it.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:45 am

And You will likely be asked for your password ;) an other post stroke guy :P
Only left side issues thankfully.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:13 am

It is admirable to see people from all walks of life enjoying the choice. :) Linux is freedom!
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi guys! - some progress methinks

I have attempted an alternate way of installing and something id missing.

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-201101w.
(Reading database ... 176201 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-201101w (1.0.0-1lsb3.2) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-201101w:
 epson-inkjet-printer-201101w depends on lsb (>= 3.2); however:
  Package lsb is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package epson-inkjet-printer-201101w (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 epson-inkjet-printer-201101w

How would I find lsb(>=3.2).
And what pray should I do with it when I find it.

Kind regards for your help thus far.

Best

David
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:46 pm

As the one who pointed you in that direction I apologise for confusing the issue.

Please try ferrari's solution
sudo apt-get install ~/Downloads/epson-inkjet-printer-201101w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

I've been very naughty in pointing you in the wrong direction :oops: :oops: :oops:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

printer installs - 50% OK, 50% nfg (so far) [SOLVED]

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi guys!

Thanks to all for your ready help.

The answer came from a most unlikely source.

I went to synaptic to try and install the missing file and the screen told me that I had some broken files. I looked at the menus and found "broken", selected and inserted my password. Synaptic then searched for the relevant files - and there were dozens of them! - and reinstalled them.

One of the files was the Epson driver.....

I tried apt-get install and it worked a treat. Control Centre -> Printers and it installed easily. No trial page, tho' 'cos the printer is probably bunged up wiv dried ink, due to the temperatures here in Spain. (My prob).

I think I will rename the David's home to home, and I expect that will remove uncertainties in the future.

I will post the synaptic issue under Discussion to see if there is more to be learned.

Bless you all

David
Semper in Excretam
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Well done with all of that David. :) Glad to hear that you had made progress. A shame about your printer though. I've had several inkjet printers in the past decade, and most failed with clogging up. (I just don't use them enough.) Anyway, now I own a Brother mono laser printer with scanner and I haven't looked back.

BTW, the CLI method for updating via apt-get is as simple as
sudo apt-get update

but many people do like GUI environments these days.
ferrari
LXF regular

Return to Help!