Epson wf-2520 printer on Mint 15

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Epson wf-2520 printer on Mint 15

Postby richardnicholas » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:33 am

I am fighting a losing battle to get my Epson WF-2520 printer working on Mint-15 (Cinnamon).

I have downloaded the drivers from the Epson website, as the System Settings → Printer dialogue does not offer drivers for this particular printer.

I then unzipped the driver package and also unzipped a package specific to the printer, Epson-wf-2520_Series-epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.ppd

Still no luck; the printer did not work and I got an error message to the effect that a file called 'epson-escpr-wrapper' could not be found.

I am no linux expert but I eventually located the file and moved it to opt->epson-inkjet-printer-escpr->cups->lib->filter

Things looked more promising and I thought I had got there – alas, no.

I now get an error messge saying:

File "/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper" has insecure permissions (0100775/uid=1000/gid=1000).

I am sure that this bit will be pretty simple to resolve but I have no idea where to begin ! Is there anyone who can help with this, please ?

The same seems to happen on Manjaro, too, although I installed the printer, no problems, on Ubuntu 13.10 and it works an absolute treat.

Thanks

Richard
richardnicholas

Postby ferrari » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 am

File "/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper" has insecure permissions (0100775/uid=1000/gid=1000).

CUPS has a security policy for filters and backends with not allowing group write permissions, so you'll need to change the permissions with something like

Code: Select all
sudo chmod 755 /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby richardnicholas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Thank you for the speedy reply.

I have tried changing the permissions of the epson-escpr-wrapper; sadly no luck.

If I go to that file, it gives read and write permissions to me, as owner, me as group and read only to others.

I have changed the chmod permissions to 777, even. I have deleted and reloaded the printer twice, rebooted twice but I still get this same message on the Printer Properties/Printer State line.

There is also a Status message on the Printer Properties->ink toner levels line in Printer Properties; "cups insecure filter", which I do not seem to be able to get rid of.

Something funny going on here ??

Any more ideas, please ?

Thanks again,

Richard
richardnicholas

Postby ferrari » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I have changed the chmod permissions to 777, even. I have deleted and reloaded the printer twice, rebooted twice but I still get this same message on the Printer Properties/Printer State line.

There is also a Status message on the Printer Properties->ink toner levels line in Printer Properties; "cups insecure filter", which I do not seem to be able to get rid of.

Something funny going on here ??

Any more ideas, please ?

I'm not an Ubuntu or Mint user, but AFAIU, CUPS requires those files to be root owned.

sudo chown -R root  /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter

If necessary the group ownership can also be changed with
sudo chgrp -R root  /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter

Don't forget to restart CUPS after you make the changes.
sudo service cups restart

FWIW, a quick google seems to throw up lots of similar problems reported with Ubuntu, insecure permissions, and Lexmark drivers :)

http://askubuntu.com/questions/237521/1 ... ions-error

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082570

[/quote]
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby richardnicholas » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Thank you for the reply. I have managed a partial success, albeit along a different route !

It seems that the problem was the drivers offered on the Epson website. There are two, epson-inkjet-printer-escpr and epson-inkjet-printer-201211w.

The former is the 'latest' generic driver, the latter an earlier release but specific to the 'wf' series of printers. I went for the 'escpr' one and that is the one which did not work.

As I mentioned earlier, I had success out of the box on an Ubuntu installation, so I went back there to have a look and, sure enough, the '201211w' set had been installed.

I would not say that the problem has been totally resolved, as I still cannot get the proper wf-2520 driver to install and work but I have managed a work-around, which has allowed me to print letters.

I hope this is helpful for anyone else who may be encountering a similar problem.

Richard
richardnicholas

Postby ferrari » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:10 pm

I can't replicate your driver install as I don't have a Debian-based OS, but your initial steps should have been to download the deb file and then install it with
sudo dpkg -i <PACKAGE-NAME>

http://livelinux.altervista.org/Guida_L ... rammi.html

Your opening post mentioned
I have downloaded the drivers from the Epson website, as the System Settings → Printer dialogue does not offer drivers for this particular printer.

I then unzipped the driver package and also unzipped a package specific to the printer, Epson-wf-2520_Series-epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.ppd

Still no luck; the printer did not work and I got an error message to the effect that a file called 'epson-escpr-wrapper' could not be found.

I am no linux expert but I eventually located the file and moved it to opt->epson-inkjet-printer-escpr->cups->lib->filter

I think that is why it all went wrong with permissions etc.
ferrari
LXF regular

Return to Help!