Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: File Systems Reply with quote

LXF 177, P74 :

Neil Bothwick wrote "Files in NTFS can only be written to safely if the file already exists and the new file is the same length as the old one".

Well, I often read/write to NTFS from Linux, so I was alarmed; thought it was OK these days. But he then goes on to say that it's OK with Fuse. Seems that Fuse is a driver which is not within the Linux kernel. I don't really care if it is in the kernal or not, so what a relief. A bit misleading and alarming, that first statement. I do indeed have references to ntfs-3g in my fstab.

He goes on to say that NTFS was developed for Windows NT. Technically true, but he could have said it was (I understand) merely an incremental improvement of HPFS [High performance FS] which was delevoped for OS/2.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did specify that I was referring to the kernel driver at that point. NTFS-3G does indeed write safely, it's a limitation of the driver, not the filesystem. So no, i don't consider the statement misleading, unless the meaning of my copy was changed while editing to fit the magazine (I don't have a copy to hand).

Yes, I could have gone into more details about the history of NTFS, but why? That wasn't the purpose of the tutorial and any historical trivia added would have been at the expense of more relevant information - like an explanation of the different between FUSE and in-kernel filesystems.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: