Memtest

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Memtest

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:58 pm

I am having probs with my ageing PC, and would like to postpone the purchase of a new one for another few months, if possible.

Boot-up caused much wailing from the Beast and I found I could get to bootup by removing one of my RAM chips. (ddr1, 1MB)......

Inserting a known good one led to dire warnings from the BIOS. Firstly it sed set the PC speed right in BIOS (AMD 3200+) but it was set to 200, which my local Linux-friendly dealer sed wos OK (Phoenix Award Bios v6.00PG, for acer <R01-A4>.

It also complains of CMOS checksum error.

No matter how I try I cannot get the Beast to store BIOS changes to cache. Setting the clock right, reset config data. new battery for BIOS and setting su and user pwds at the start and end of a session still means that I can not get it to boot first from CD. There seems no way out for me since I have defaults from the start. However, I can get a stable Mate GUI.

I loaded LXF166 DVD and wished to start Disaster Recovery Kit. I can select it and select autorun but I get the msg
Autorun not found.

I tried from the cmg line as

/media/david/LXF166/
sudo autorun
No autorun.

Where am I going wrong, please?

I am trying to run memtest to see if I can isolate the problem.

Best regards

David

Code: Select all
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi David.

With regards to the RAM. Check the stick is properly seated in the slot. Check there is nothing (dust or debris) in the slot causing a bad connection.

From your post I guess you have more than one stick of RAM installed. What results do you get if you put the one you first removed back in and remove the other/s? If you have two or more sticks try removing all but one, then booting the machine. Rinse and repeat for each stick in turn. If one of the sticks is bad you will soon know. It's unlikely but possible to have a duff RAM slot. so Try each stick in the same slot. eg, stick 1 slot 1, stick 2 slot 1. Then stick 1 slot 2 and stick 2 slot 2 etc.

The BIOS problems sound like a faulty battery. I know you said you have already tried a new one. I would get another new one and try again. Or at lest test the battery with a Multimeter.

When you say that you cannot boot from CD. Do you mean that you have set the CD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS but the boot order is not persistent? Some BIOS have a different key to be pressed during the POST to select a boot device that is different to the default behaviour. Sort of a change for this time only feature. For example each time my PC boots I can press F2 to enter the BIOS to change the boot order permanently or F12 to select boot device for this session.

Another way to Try and force a CD boot would be to unplug the HDD.

Good Luck
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:21 pm

LXFDVDs have memtest available from the boot menu (the last item). Just boot from the DVD and select it, no need to install anything.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Memtest

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Purplepenguin, many thanx for your swift reply. I have tested the original and new batts with a good meter both for current and voltage and am satisfied that the new jobby is OK.

I will try your novel way of testing my chips and will report back.

Thanx again Nelz, but you see, I am not able to boot from the CD drive, altho´ I will try out the interesting suggestion about F2 or another F key to access the BIOS and will report back.

Best regards

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Ah, I see. Memtest is a kernel, you have to boot from it, you cannot run it within an OS (because it would not be able to properly test any memory in use by the OS). The autorun script is not in your path, so you have to give the path to run it

cd /media...DVD/
./autorun

Not that it will help, the autorun script on LXFDVDs only loads the index into your default browser. Can you boot from USB? If so, copy the DVD to a USB stick.

It may be that you need to reset the CMOS settings, your motherboard manual will tell you how to do this. It usually involves shorting out a jumper, which is why you should check the manual first.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Memtest

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Nelz, thank you so much, you have saved me further heartache as I was about to boot from the DVD, and I now know that would have been a bad choice.

I have discovered that F12 enters the BIOS giving me choice of first boots. I simply did not know that, but I have copied it down.

Spain does not do manuals, even in Spanish.

OK, I shall search for a handbook on the motherboard before doing anything else. When I have the Info I will report back and let you know what I propose to do next.

That way you can keep a watch over me, like a Guardian Angel - whist ensuring I do as much as I can to help myself.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I am really out of my depth.

Best regards

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Booting from the DVD is the right thing to do, as long as you choose memtest from the DVD's boot menu.
nelz
Site admin

Memtest

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Nelz, thank you again for your kind thoughts.

I had to go to have some medical tests done so that is why I am late in replying.

I have tried for hours to find a manual for the motherboard for an Acer Aspire 360 AMD-64, 3200+ but with no luck so far. I shall to continue, but I will take your advice first and use F12 to boot from CD and explore LXF166 for memtest and see where it takes us.

Many thanks

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:44 pm

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Acer%20Compu ... er&x=0&y=0

Page 106 gives details of how to clear the CMOS via jumper.

http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%20one.pdf

From page 111. Gives details of BIOS error codes and details on how to reset.

Not sure if these are what you are looking for. Worth a look though.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Memtest

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 am

Nelz and PurplePenguin, what a pair of stars you truly are!

Under your guidance I used F12 to force boot from CD and performed sed test.The results are as follows:

Wall Time: 13:35
Cached: 2047M
Rsvd Mem: 12K
Mem Map: e820
Cache : ON
ECC : OFF
Test : STD
Pass : 12
Errors : 0 (ZERO!)
ECC Errors:

I left it on all night, to be sure.

I have printed out the pages from the manual, and I will look hard at the MoBo to find the right jumper. I cannot read it off the page but I will see if I can find it.

I have found only one small jumper from way back when, so I will unplug the Beast, short the link, remove the jumper and reboot and see what we find.

I will let you know the outcome, but will wait a while to give time for you to correct me in case I am about to do something wrong here.

I will make a small post under Hints and Tips to let others know about F12.

Best regards

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:38 am

I have never really had a reason to use Memtest. So the output means nothing to me. I'm guessing the "Errors : 0 (ZERO!)" can only be good news. :)

purplepenguin
LXF regular

[SOLVED] Memtest

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:09 pm

By Jove - he´s got it!

Very likely I have managed to short 1-2 and clear CMOS. I started the Beast and entered BIOS and made changes, including boot order.

On reboot, the lovely words ¨boot from CD¨ appeared at the top of the screen and I logged in as normal. Then I ran down and rebooted and it did it again.

I am as happy as a puppy dog with a belly full of pee, a wagful tail and a street full of lampposts!

Thanks a million guys!

Best

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Return to Help!