Yet more problems with a USB modem

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Yet more problems with a USB modem

Postby Viking44 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:23 pm

I have just gone over to Suse 10 and am having problems with my USB Sagem Fast800 modem which worked well under Mandriva 2005LE. I have installed the Linux version of the official up to date driver and it would appear to have configured the modem BUT....
Problem 1. During the install I got the message "Warning: $PATH does not contain /usr/local/sbin You won't be able to launch scripts. If you are using bash, you should update /root/.bashrc" As a raw newbie I do not understand what that is about but I ran the scripts from their files with apparent success - at least I was told that the install was successful and the little light on the modem blinked and then steadied to constant!
Problem 2. Or is it a problem? When the scripts told me to type startadsl I did so and konsole closed. No error message appeard.
Problem 3. On booting into Linux the modem service light does not come on until I physically disconnect and reconnect the modem. Other USB items are however detected.
Problem 4. On clicking on kppp I receive the message "You do not have sufficient permission to run /usr/sbin/pppd. Please make sure that kppp is owned by root and has the SUID bit set". What is all that about?
Finally, Problem 5. When I try to connect to the internet using kppp I am told that it can't find the modem under any of the locations I have tried. The modem name under Yast is dev/modem but under kppp the nearest equivalent is dev/modem0.
I have tried deleting the modem under Yast and letting it do its own thing, I have tried all (to me) logical settings I can think of but with no success.
Phewwww!
Can anyone clarify what is happening? This is being typed via Windows.
Viking44

RE: Yet more problems with a USB modem

Postby Viking44 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:20 pm

Its back to Windows which works
Shame but Linux appears to be all hype.
Viking44

Postby nelz » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:29 pm

This is an ADSL modem, you shouldn't be using kppp. which is for dialup.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Viking44 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:27 pm

Have just found your reply nelz. That seems a good enough reason to me for it not to work! I have tried startadsl at a command but am told that this is not recognised. Everything that I find out about and try ends in failure. How the heck to I get on line?
I just seem to be totally lost with Suse whereas I could get things done with Mandriva but could not stand the penguin picture so thought I would give Suse a go.
Where can I find some good simple newbie information on Suse? I have spent many evenings looking for something that a thicko could understand. But no luck.
Viking44

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:27 pm

Personally, I would suggest dumping the USB ADSL modem, they are mostly pants anyway, they use the PC processor and memory to do the work.
You will get better results (even under Windows) with a proper ethernet ADSL modem or router.(plus if you get a router, you can connect more than 1 pc, or wireless routers are even more fun.)
The reason that many USB ADSL modems (and ordinary modems, and printers, and scanners, etc) only work with windows, is that they are deliberately designed not to work with anything else, and they use Windows API to avoid building proper controllers into the device, thus saving money, while crippling their performance.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Viking44 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:08 am

Many thanks for that.

I have in fact already bought a Belkin router/modem and a Netgear network card but have hit problems with those. First off the router was faulty and did not allow access to its setup pages and now it has been replaced I find that there is a strong possibility of an IRQ conflict between the NIC and the graphics card as they are both on IRQ 11. I cannot remove the NIC and put it in another slot as there is not sufficient room in the one remaining slot - there is a component on the card next to it which fouls the "airspace" over the slot.

I had intended to run my Windows Me/Suse 10 pc with the ethernet router and connect my daughters Windows XP machine via USB wireless link. But it now looks as if I have thrown my money away! Ah well, it is only money!
Any further thoughts would be very welcome.

PS I did say earlier that the USB modem worked well under Mandriva but I seem totally unable to get it going under Suse. I may go back to Mandriva as 2006 has got rid of that dreadful penguin picture which looked more suited to a kindergarden than an adults desktop!!
Viking44

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:31 am

Can you swap the other PCI components around?
Is there any setting in the bios that will allow you to override the IRQ steering?
Otherwise, some USB NICs will work OK with Linux.
PCI NICs and GFX cards often seem to fight over IRQ11 :(
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Viking44 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:01 pm

Again, many thanks for your reply. I am not a great one for opening the box although I did install more memory and the NIC a few days ago - with fear and trembling I may add! Otherwise I know very little about the internal workings of pcs except for what I glean from Forums and the Internet in general.
My pc is the general workhorse of this family so I shall only open the box (btw does any one remember Michael Miles? That shows my age) if absolutely necessary!! I do have one or two more things to try before I feel that is the last trick to try.
Viking44

Postby nelz » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:24 am

You changed distros because of a picture? Wouldn't it have been easier to switch themes?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Viking44 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:53 am

It was a factor. But being new to Linux I liked the sound of Suse 10 and that I think was the decider.
To me the big problem with Linux is that to experienced Linuxers it is user friendly, but to users who are not experienced it is not as friendly as it is hyped up to be.
Anyway, I have got hold of Mandriva 2006 (and yes I have read the LXF review) and I may well go back to that.
I like experimenting but I am not young any more and get very frustrated when things to do work without a lot of hassle!!
Viking44

Postby Viking44 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:55 am

Whoops, yet another Senior Moment! It should of course be that I get very frustrated when things do NOT work without a lot of hassle.
Viking44

Re: RE: Yet more problems with a USB modem

Postby nelz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:21 am

Viking44 wrote:To me the big problem with Linux is that to experienced Linuxers it is user friendly, but to users who are not experienced it is not as friendly as it is hyped up to be.

That's true of anything. You were probably the same when you first used Windows, but now you re comfortable with that, you have different expectations.
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: Yet more problems with a USB modem

Postby Viking44 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:22 pm

You are of course quite right!
But having used Windows for some years I want to try Linux and see what it has to offer. The answer is that Linux has hell of a a lot to offer. But I wish I could get the access to the internet going. Without that I feel crippled.
When I investigate why I cannot get something going in Linux I seem to get up against a brickwall. Either that or someone throws a lot of command line instructions at me. Don't get me wrong, one of the things I like about Linux is the way it can be manipulated via the command line. But as a newbie the steep learning curve seems at times insurmountable. Addidtionally I am not a great enthusiast for opening the box and pulling bits out and pushing other bits in.
I would feel quite different if I could understand more and get this B box on the internet!!
In short I feel that I am a User not a geek (or whatever the current word is) I want to be able to install Linux and get on and use the programs provided.
We seem to have got off the original topic, don't we?
Viking44

Postby nelz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:54 pm

This would appear to be an issue with SUSE rather than Linux. Other distros include the drivers for this modem, Mandriva also provides an easy GUI configuration for it. Google for "eagle-usb suse" and you'll find similar complaints fro others about the lack of SUSE support for this modem.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Viking44 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:15 am

The latest news is that the ethernet router I bought to replace the USB modem was faulty and has had to be exchanged at PC World, no problem here. Having been unwell this week I have now at last tried this new replacement router out and all is well on Suse - I am accessing the internet and I feel free again.
Now all I need to do is get it working on Windows for the rest of my family.
My simple mind is now in favour of continuing my "playing" with Suse to see what I can achieve.
Many thanks to all for their interest and patience!
Viking44

Return to Hardware