Wish to change to LInux Mint 15 from Ubuntu

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wish to change to LInux Mint 15 from Ubuntu

Postby Narendra » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:18 pm

Hello,
If I change to Linux Mint 15 , Will I get all my backups from ubuntu?
Narendra
Narendra
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 pm

From ubuntu-one? If that is your question I think it is still possible, but I am not sure exactly what your question means.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Re: Wish to change to LInux Mint 15 from Ubuntu

Postby caf4926 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:15 am

Narendra wrote:Hello,

If you plan to install Mint to replace Ubuntu, as with any upgrade, you should always make a backup. Typically both Ubuntu and Mint don't have a separate /home, so if that applies to you, then a new install of Mint would delete your personal files.
CAF4926
caf4926

Postby Mighty_Cheese » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:07 pm

As mentioned previously, back up your data. My suggestion is to compy the contents of your ~/home directory to a portable HDD /another machine/Large USB drive (depending on how much data you have).

One way of doing this is....

When you come to install Mint you have the option during the install of creating a custom partition table.. not really as scary as it sounds once you have a few basics!

Tell the installer not to automatically format the entire drive, but that you want to set up your own partitions. First create a partition for swap (not 100% necessary but it can improve speed) make it the same size as the amount of RAM in your machine for simplicity. Second create a partition for "/" depending on what packages you are going to install and how many this could vary in size, but I tend to find 20-30 GB plenty. There will be a drop-down list of what to use the partition for. Third create a partition from the remainder of the drive and select "/home" from the list of options. Finally tell the installer to write the partitions and allow the rest of the install to proceed as normal.

There will be a number of options whilst formatting about what to format partitions as. Swap is just swap, but for simplicity just pick EXT4/EXT3.

If you are dual booting with another OS make sure that you don't select the partition used by that (windows will be marked as NTFS/FAT32 normally)

Once you have your OS installed grab your software from the repos and drop your data into the appropriate directories in ~/home.

The benefit of making a separate /home partition is that if you choose to swap distro in future it should preserve your data - however its always best policy to back up first.
"You've heard Queen,
You've heard Squeeze,
But you ain't heard nothing like the Mighty Cheese"
Mighty_Cheese

Postby Mighty_Cheese » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:13 pm

*edited due to accidental double post!*

This Youtube vid might help! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNK8OXIFyQ
"You've heard Queen,
You've heard Squeeze,
Mighty_Cheese

Postby catgate » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:18 am

Narendra wrote:Hello,

Do you mean "back ups" or "up dates" ??
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Narendra » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:17 am

Thank you very much for your replies.
I mean the backups, not Updates!
Narendra
Narendra
LXF regular

Backing up in Ubuntu

Postby Mighty_Cheese » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Ubuntu has a built in backup tool (there are many others too), there is a good tutorial on how to do this on "How To Geek":

http://www.howtogeek.com/108869/how-to- ... th-dj-dup/

for simplicity I'd back up to a local storage place (USB HDD etc) but not the drive that you are going to be installing over! :P (Made this mistake once many moons ago... :oops: ) I am not sure how nicely Mints backup/restore tools play with Ubuntu One when it comes to restoring. When you have backed up remember where you put it, and once you have your Mint installation type "Backup" into the application search or equivalent. Give it your password, and then choose "Restore" from the options available then follow the tool through (steps such as telling it where your backup is kept and where to restore it to).

Hope this helps :)
"You've heard Queen,
You've heard Squeeze,
Mighty_Cheese

Return to Help!