Where the Hell is Distrowatch?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Rhakios » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:43 am

nelz wrote:And most other places. Fortunately, I have a spare key - ooh the power, should I admin Chris or 1sf (troll) (troll)?

Even if you did the latter, he wouldn't notice and even if he noticed, he wouldn't know what to do. So, go on, I dare you. :twisted:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby ChrisThornett » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:35 pm

lok1950 wrote:Since no one has said it yet :wink: Welcome to the forums...

Thanks! And thanks, Neil.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby nelz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:37 pm

That thought did occur to me, but to make him an admin, I'd have to remove his current special status :)

BTW Chris, it's Saturday, go home!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: The Mag...and Other Fare.

Postby Morrissey's Cat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Ari wrote:To clarify - the decision to stop doing the Distrowatch pages and the guys making the decision to leave aren't really related.

I'm not so sure about this. Here are Future's interim results, where the beancounters say they intend to resume paying a dividend to the shareholders at the end of the year: http://www.investegate.co.uk/future-plc ... 00085775J/

The last Distrowatch appeared in LXF173 (http://www.linuxformat.com/archives?issue=173). A quick look through my back issues tells me that LXF173, the last issue to feature Distrowatch (and the last issue before the 16-page cut) went on sale on 20 June, two days after the dividend announcement was made.

If I were working on a magazine that I loved (it's clear that they're all friends as well as passionate free software advocates), this would annoy me enough to leave. Instead of producing 16 pages of Linux Format, the money that would otherwise have paid for those 16 pages (or at least part of it) is going to be given the shareholders. A cynic would suggest that the person who made the decision to cut the 16 pages is probably a large shareholder...

Maybe we should write to Schroder Investment Management and ask for Distrowatch back? ;-)
http://www.futureplc.com/investors/major-shareholders/
There's always someone, somewhere, with a big nose, who knows
Morrissey's Cat

Postby ChrisThornett » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:31 pm

I've already clarified to readers in my follow-up post that Distrowatch was dropped because of the cut in pages.

No one seemed greatly upset about the spread's departure when it was discussed in the office. You can include Susan Linton's copy being dropped as a catalyst for three staff departures if you want; it makes for a slightly bigger story than the current one. That still doesn't make it true, though.

As I've already stated, dropping pagination does decrease the value of the magazine to me, and most people, and it's not a decision I agree with.

I think you can assume that the page cuts, along with a lot of other things, had an influence on his and the other members' decision to leave.

I have no idea whether anyone will discuss their reasons for leaving publicly and, of course, they have a right to do that, but I do think it's high time that those that don't work for the magazine any more leave those that do alone to make the best go of the new start.

Again, I wish them well.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby ChrisThornett » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:33 pm

Ari wrote:Again, I wish them well.

And I mean that.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Re: The Mag...and Other Fare.

Postby Nuke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Morrissey's Cat wrote:Here are Future's interim results, where the beancounters say they intend to resume paying a dividend to the shareholders at the end of the year: http://www.investegate.co.uk/future-plc ... 00085775J/

I followed the link and there is an ANNOYING ADVERT across the page I was trying to read, with no means of dismissing it. Just what I was talking about in my post a few minutes ago in the "This Website" forum - "Is it just me or no ads".
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:37 am

Click on "Why are you asking me this" and then hit Back.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Fíona » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:58 am

Well you could try to voice your concern to the people in charge at Future (http://www.futureplc.com/contact/), I did 3 weeks ago to 2 different (male) directors and apart from an automatic reply from someone on maternity leave, the answer was no reply.

I wonder if the 16 lost pages were advertising or the content that we buy the mag for? and for 16 pages less per issue, I'm guessing that the sub. hasn't been decreased.
They're doing a good job of making my self fulfilling prophecy come true!

I am going to give lxf the benefit of the doubt for now and instead of renewing my subscription for 2 years next spring, I'll renew for 1 year.
I am confidant that the staff of linuxformat will do all possible to produce the magazine we have come to expect, I hope that they get the resources and space to do that.
Fíona

Postby johnhudson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Excluding regulars, like Dr Smith, and former regulars, like Distrowatch, in December 2011 there were 46, in December 2012 52, in December 2013 44 pages of articles; prior to May 2012, there were normally 44-46 pages of articles; then from May 2012 to July 2013 there were normally 50-52 pages of articles.

Since August 2013 we have been back to the level in 2011 but the loss of Distrowatch may have heightened the impression of the magazine shrinking dramatically.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby ChrisThornett » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks John, interesting stats. We shall need to continue confusing the ad team so we have more editorial pages.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby MadTux » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Well here's at least an interesting OS on distrowatch :P

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=risc
" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs