Installing Ubuntu 13.04 from LXF 172 DVD

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Installing Ubuntu 13.04 from LXF 172 DVD

Postby chris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi,
I have been thinking of installing the LXF Privacy Remix because I am not a fan of Amazon, but have a query before I do anything:

If I install it minus the Amazon "bits" will it remain Amazon-free permanently or will the Update Manager try in install them whenever it is run?

There doesn't seem much point in going to the trouble of doing a clean install of this version of Ubuntu if the bits taken out by the LXF Team will be put back at some stage by Update Manger.

Alternatively, is there a means of removing the "Amazonia" ourselves without having to do a fresh install from the LXF DVD?
chris

Postby Fat_Tuesday » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:01 pm

I can't find any detail on how they've disabled the Amazon search for the respin. You can disable the search in the ubuntu privacy settings once ubuntu is installed. There have been a number of updates since I disabled the online search results and I just checked and they're still disabled.
Fat_Tuesday

Postby chris » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Many thanks, Fat_Tuesday,

One learns something new every day; I didn't know that Ubuntu had privacy settings. Perhaps that is the one disadvantage (for newcomers) of having Unity and not having a conventional menu like other distros.

I find Unity quite good so long as I know what I am looking for.
chris

Return to Help!