Unable to install openSuse12.3 from LXF171

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Unable to install openSuse12.3 from LXF171

Postby chris » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:23 am

Hi,

Can anyone help with this problem, please?

I have been trying to install OpenSuse 12.3 from the DVD that came with LXF171 onto a portable hard disc (HD).

The portable disc already contains Ubuntu 13.04 running successfully.

I created a partition of 50Gb for it and assumed that openSuse would use the swap partition that was already on the portable HD

When the installer got to the point where it wanted to know where to install OpenSuse, I selected /dev/sdb8 with /dev/sdb5 as the swap partition which are both on the portable HD.

No matter what I did, the installer insisted that it would put OpenSuse where I wanted it but wanted to use the swap partition (/dev/sda? ) on the computer that I was using for the installation onto the portable HD and was going to delete the swap partition on the portable.

The computer that I was using belongs to someone else who has his Linux distribution and Windows on it so I did not want the OpenSuse installer messing about with his hard disc.

How can I get the installer to use the portable drive exclusively without interfering with the other computer?

Before anyone asks: I want it on a portable HD because have two desktops in different locations but no laptop so the portable drive enables me to use the same installation of Ubuntu on both machines
chris

Postby johnhudson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I assume you are using the Expert/Custom partition setup.

Normally, before installation starts, you get a complete page saying what openSUSE is planning to do which you can edit; can you not edit the parts you need to edit?
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby chris » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 am

Hi johnhudson,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in acknowledging it. What happens is this: after entering the data about language, keyboard and location, I get a screen saying:

Create root volume /dev/sdb8 with ext4
Use /dev/sda6 as swap
Use /dev/sdb6 as swap

I don't want it to do anything with /dev/sda but I can't remove the suggestion to use /dev/sda6 as swap

If I choose the "Create Partition Setup" option and select /dev/deb6 as the swap and /dev/sdb7 as the root volume, I get a screen with:

Delete partition /dev/sdb6
Delete partition /dev/sdb7
Create root volume /dev/sdb6 with ext4
use /dev/sda6 as swap

The first 2 lines are in red and I don't want either partition deleting but OpenSuse seems determined to do what it wants, so I think I had better abandon my attempts in case I end up deleting the contents of /sda.
chris

Return to Help!