Lost files in Evolution

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Lost files in Evolution

Postby fede » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:39 am

I use Claws-Mail and Evolution as my email clients (no Thunderbird: trying to be "easy-maintenance" it makes it awfully hard to use anything but a conventional mail server - as opposed to my in-house one), and they work great - mostly.

Evolution has suddenly lost track of its mail folders/files on one of my machines (it's doing fine on the others, but something similar happened before, on a different system). The files are still there (~/.local/share/apps/evolution/mail/...), but they don't show up when I launch the application. I can't figure out where to tell Evolution about those files, and, again, it happened suddenly, and I can't see what's different from my other computers, where Evolution has no problem.

Any suggestion would be gratefully accepted. Thank you.
fede

Postby guy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 am

File > Import... ?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 am

Are you using IMAP protocol on this machine to connect to your server?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby fede » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Ram wrote:Are you using IMAP protocol on this machine to connect to your server?

I am using POP. I know, I know, IMAP would make sense, but I am basically lazy, and I would want to download a local copy to my various client machines anyway, for backup purposes.
fede

Postby fede » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:33 pm

guy wrote:File > Import... ?

Thanks - I tried that, but Evolution just crashed, and did not import anything. By the way, it went like this: I had to choose "import from an older version" (I was not importing a single file for sure), it did not allow me to point anywhere specifically (jumped right to "import"), and it was gone... :(
fede

Postby guy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 am

fede wrote:
guy wrote:File > Import... ?

Thanks - I tried that, but Evolution just crashed, and did not import anything. By the way, it went like this: I had to choose "import from an older version" (I was not importing a single file for sure), it did not allow me to point anywhere specifically (jumped right to "import"), and it was gone... :(

The "older version" option seems pretty automated (no "find" options) and I assume just sniffs around on its own. The "single file" option is clunkier to use, obviously, but it does allow you to navigate to your location of choice.

BTW, the /usr/share stuff is only system stuff.
Your personal stuff is in a hidden folder in your home directory:
~/home/fede or whoever/.evolution/...
So you might want to check that stuff is still there (e.g. in Nautilus, select view > show hidden files) and permissions etc. aren't scrambled.

I guess the alternative is to reinstall and hope that it picks up the old location then.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Return to Help!