Raspberry Pi SD Card Slot

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Raspberry Pi SD Card Slot

Postby johnlane » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 am

When something goes wrong, it can bring previously overlooked detail into focus. Recently, the SD slot on one of my Pi broke - an aparently common problem. When I got LXF173 I noticed that the picture of the Pi on the front cover, and repeated on pages 14 and 72, sports a different SD holder that protrudes beyond the board's edge. None of the Pi that I possess have this feature - instead having the fragile one.

This got me wondering whether variations on the board exist that offer the opportunity of getting a Pi with a more robust slot.

Or, maybe, the photos used are of an earlier prototype - its connectors are also a different colour to mine. Perhaps LXF needs an updated stock photo of a recent board revision ?
johnlane

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:33 am

I was concerned about the SD card poking out of the case and asking to be knocked, so I got one of these.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dandnsmith » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:26 am

That's an interesting addon, and well worth considering - after I've got past the phase where I need to keep physically removing the card.

I see posts which suggest a lot of the SD Card problems arise from the springy contacts no longer 'making' on insertion, and that you can fix this by gluing on some thin card to your SD Card.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby johnlane » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:18 pm

The gluing a piece of a credit card trick works for a while but isn't perfect. I just managed to get Farnell to replace mine, which was very good of them.

I also just tried a RS-MMC card. it works but not to boot from which is a shame (aparently the current firmware doesn't support mmc). I only need the card for booting so their small size and slow performance wouldn't have been a concern for me.

There are a number of other solutions but the one from modmypi seems the best.

If only the actual Pi had a card slot like the one photographed in the magazine ;) I guess some early ones did but, alas, no more.
johnlane

Postby johnlane » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Just noticed the same old picture is still being used: it's on page 8 of LXF178.

Perhaps there is a world of people out there who actually have a Pi with a card holder sticking out like that... :roll:
johnlane

Return to Hardware