lxf173 Raspberry Pi Tutorial bit brief

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

lxf173 Raspberry Pi Tutorial bit brief

Postby godofthedevil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 pm

I got my LXF though the post and had a quick read as i do and i noticed with the pi tutorial that all it contains is two pictures of the pi a few red >>'s and thats about it.

i wonder if this is a printing malfunction and just affected my mag but i wonder if anyone else has had this same foul-up

UPDATE: a few more pages are missing text: MariaDB, & Cuda.
Last edited by godofthedevil on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby dhester » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Mines the same, also the libreoffice tutorial is only a few pictures with no text, so are pages 80-81. Think it must be a production issue.
dhester

Postby mfraser » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Just received my copy and I'm also seeing pages with no text, just images.
Hopefully when they produce the PDF it will have the text so I can read it!
mfraser

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 pm

My copy has just arrived and it is fine, just wish my brain would take it all in :roll: :roll: :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Here too - eight pages missing

Postby gjamie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:10 pm

I am missing p 68-69 (Libreoffice templates) - just the screenshot and title
P72-3 Rasp Pi tutorial - just two picutues
76-77 is just picture of Jonathon and a seal
80-81 (Cuda) has no text either

So eight pages lost. Would be a bit of waste to replace the magazine but some PDFs would be good (and maybe some Linux Inside stickers next month as compensation :D )
gjamie

Postby ajgreeny » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Missing pages in my copy as well.

This must be a bit of an embarrassing situation for LXF and the printers, I suspect, but will we get a new copy or will we have to just read it online?
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Missing text

Postby Andrew » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:28 am

Hello,

Sorry about this. It appears that some copies of Linux Format that have been sent out to subscribers haven't been printed properly, so some of the pages in the tutorial section don't have any black ink. The issue (LXF173) isn't on sale yet, so we don't know the extent of the cockup. If only a few copies are affected, we'll be able to send out replacement copies from our stocks here; if loads of copies are affected, we''l have to sort something out with the printer.
If you get sent one of the faulty copies, please email contact@myfavouritemagazines.co.uk and they'll be able to sort you out with a replacement.

Andrew
Andrew

Faulty printing issue with "Linux Format #LXF173"

Postby Hampshire Hog » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 pm

I too received my copy of Linux Format #LXF173. All the named pages also missing in my copy. I emailed them and it has been confirmed that there is a printing issue. I have been advised that a replacement copy will be sent out to me asap. They are also making every effort to get the PDF version on-line today (Monday 17 June 2013)
Hampshire Hog

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:49 pm

My copy is just fine, but I think I know why things have gone wrong. Just look at the cover, "Escape Google" it says. Well you can mess with the CIA all you like, but no one messes with the big G!

:shock:

:lol:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby godofthedevil » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:44 pm

i must admit the tutorials where very easy to follow with no complicated text or jargon lol.

ah well mistakes happen. :-)
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:20 am

My copy arrived with no apparent flaws in printing.
However, I was disappointed by the lack of content - I considered that I had the installation adequately covered by the wiki (which didn't write USB stick where SD Card was meant in several places - confusing when there is also an install process which ends up with most content on a stick and just sufficient to boot on the card).
I was hoping to get more insight into uses after the successful installation.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby DorsetBlue » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:58 am

<AOL> Me too!!!! :P </AOL>
DorsetBlue

Pages missing from issue bought from shop

Postby stuartb » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:33 pm

I've just reached the end of issue 173, which I bought from my local Sainsburys as I do every month (I know, I should subscribe...), and it is also missing the text from the pages mentioned above. As it has been three weeks now I doubt if Sainsburys will still have another copy and in any case their copies would all come from the same run.

I'm hoping that the Libre Office, Raspberry Pi, MariaDB and Cuda articles will be reprinted in LXF174, or at least be on the DVD.

Also hoping that LXF174 will be back over 100 pages as #173 was getting a bit thin for £6.49 over the counter, even if all the pages had printing on them.
--
Stuart
stuartb

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:54 am

Good idea, I've put PDFs of the affected articles on DVD 175.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs