Apper not updating vlc

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Apper not updating vlc

Postby stuarte9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:27 am

Hi,

I'm currently having a problem updating vlc, using Apper on OpenSUSE 12.3/KDE.

When I click Apper's Apply button (to apply the updates), Apper displays a "Dependency resolution failed" dialog with the following text.

A package dependency could not be found.
More information is available in the detailed report.

Clicking the Details button on this dialog shows the following further text.

vlc-noX-2.0.6-25.1.i586 requires libvlc5 = 2.0.6-25.1, but this requirement cannot be provided
vlc-2.0.6-25.1.i586 requires vlc-noX = 2.0.6-25.1, but this requirement cannot be provided

Using Dolphin and starting from /, I did a search for vlc. The two offending packages listed above did not appear in the search results list returned by Dolphin. I take it from this that these two packages are not on the system.

The packages that are to be updated are as follows.

libvlc5 2.0.6-25.1
libvlccore5 2.0.6-25.1
vlc 2.0.6-25.1
vlc-aout-pulse 2.0.6-25.1
vlc-codecs 2.0.6-25.1
vlc-gnome 2.0.6-25.1
vlc-nox 2.0.6-25.1
vlc-qt 2.0.6-25.1

Given that I've successfully used vlc on several ocassions :-
a) how is that possible when there are (apparently) packages missing;
b) how do I resolve this dependency problem.

Given also that both of the offending packages are in the list of updates to be applied, shouldn't the dependency handling mechanism just have pulled in/applied these packages?

Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to give with this.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby PCNetSpec » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Well you would think so, but then I know nothing about Apper .. have you tried installing the offending dependencies on their own first ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Assuming you copied and pasted the dependencies above, then I notice that we have vlc-nox and vlc-noX. Perhaps some monkey has borked the update system by making it look for an incorrect package name.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby stuarte9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, folks.

@PCNetSpec:
No, I haven't tried that, even though this update alert has been appearing for a couple of weeks now. You'll see below why that's not an issue now.

@Rhaklos:
Your eyes are better than mine! I hadn't noticed the change of case. (':oops:')

To quote that well known Roman saying, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum...

After I had posted into this forum, the contents of the update alert changed. Now, instead of all the packages listed above, there is a single package which is not part of that list. In other words, since posting to this forum, the problem appears(!) to have fixed itself.

Hmm, curiouser & curiouser...

Thanks again for the replies. Let's just hope that the problem stays fixed.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby johnhudson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:13 pm

I have vlc installed but none of the above programs/libraries and I get regular updates without problems.

For example, I have libvlc.so.5

Where did you get it from?
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby stuarte9 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 am

Good morning John,

Thanks for the reply. At this late stage, I just can't remember where I got vlc from. It may have been directly from the vlc website. I tend to stick either with the mag's DVDs in the first instance, then a distro's own website and its repo, or finally go directly to a given package's website.

This came about because an update alert kept appearing at the top of my screen but when I tried to accept the update, the system complained of not being able to resolve a couple of dependencies, as I stated in my previous posts.

As you will see in my second post, the problem seemed to resolve itself after(!) I sent in my first post on this thread to the forum. Yet the problem had existed on my system for a few weeks before that. Also as I said in my previous post, curiouser and curiouser ...

Since the problem seemed(!) to fix itself(?!), the update alert seems to be working "normally". On its last appearance it listed only one package to be updated which had nothing to do with vlc, as far as I know.

It will be interesting to see how things play out from here on.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby caf4926 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:20 am

The problem was due to a depend's issue originating with ffmpeg 2 supplied by @packman
Most openSUSE users don't use Apper, as it doesn't honour the package switching settings applied in the Yast Software Manager
CAF4926
caf4926

Postby stuarte9 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:11 am

Good morning caf4926,

Thanks for the reply. With respect to not using Apper on openSUSE, I agree. With previous versions of this distro it was always Yast/Software Management that I used for installing packages from the repo.

However, 12.3 came with and installed Apper as well as Yast. I've been jumping between these for package installation. Maybe on this distro I should stick strictly with Yast/Software Management.

No I haven't used/visited @pacman so I really don't understand how that can be connected to this situation. This distro is the i386 DVD ISO that I downloaded directly from the openSUSE website and burned to DVD.

Oh well, at least I've learned something that I probably would not have learned otherwise.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby caf4926 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:38 am

stuarte9 wrote:Good morning caf4926,

Thanks for the reply. With respect to not using Apper on openSUSE, I agree. With previous versions of this distro it was always Yast/Software Management that I used for installing packages from the repo.

However, 12.3 came with and installed Apper as well as Yast. I've been jumping between these for package installation. Maybe on this distro I should stick strictly with Yast/Software Management.

No I haven't used/visited @pacman so I really don't understand how that can be connected to this situation. This distro is the i386 DVD ISO that I downloaded directly from the openSUSE website and burned to DVD.

Oh well, at least I've learned something that I probably would not have learned otherwise.

Stuart

Maybe look at
https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf49 ... guide-126/
CAF4926
caf4926

Postby stuarte9 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Good afternoon caf4926,

Thanks for the reply. I've checked out the link. It seems very straight forward. I may implement that in the near future when I can find a few minutes.

I very much appreciate the help.

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Return to Help!