Sometimes silent system

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Sometimes silent system

Postby neilj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 am

I am using SuseLinux 12.1.
If I open System Settings / Multimedia / Phonon, in the device preferences tab I am shown three Audio Playback Devices, one is greyed out. The High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) is at the top, Internal Audio Analog Stereo at the bottom. If I highlight any of them and click the test button I get sound from Internal Audio Analog Stereo. I have moved that to be at the top of all options. If I open PulseAudio Volume Control and I go to the Audio Hardware Setup tab (System Settings / Multimedia / Phonon) and I click on 'Front Left' button I get no sound but I can see the blue line in the Volume Control moving.
It seems that although no sound is being produced by the card all signal is goin to the card. Notifications are making a noise but playback of video and music is silent.
The card is 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
Configured as sound card number 0
Driver snd-hda-intel
neilj
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:33 am

Check if there's a mixer setting preventing the audio signal reaching the speakers.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby neilj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:05 am

When I open mixer, I have the 2 devices, none of them muted. When I click on settings and choose Select Master Channel, I get 2 channels, Event Sound and opera:Playback Stream. No matter which I choose there is no sound. But when I open PulseAudio Volume control and I highlight High Definition Audio Controller in Phono-KDE Control Module and press the test button, In the PulseAudio screen a new stream that is not usually visible, kcmshell4, pops up. That is linked to High Definition Audio Controller. No sound though. This disapears after the test sound stops. While it is being displayed I can change the audio stream to Internal Audio and the sound will play.
neilj
LXF regular

Return to Help!