making bootable USB from DVD

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby el10 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 pm

How can I download lxf157.iso (Or any other No iso's) so that I can transfer it to a USB ? I fail to transfer any of the DVD I get with my subscription. I have written to lxfanswers@fduturenet.co.uk in April asking for help without getting any answers.
Please help / advise
Thank you.
Help to make Linux simple for mortals
el10

Postby dandnsmith » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 am

I don't know what your problem is, as you haven't given any real detail.
The site info shows that you have to login to the archive section using your subscription number, and then the iso is available for download via BitTorrent.
I have never done any downloading via torrent (only downloaded pdfs of the articles), so cannot advise further - if this is where your problem is, then you should say so, and give further detail about where it goes wrong.

HTH
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:58 am

Have you tried running dvd2usb.sh from the DVD?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby el10 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:10 am

Thank you Nelz. I tried to run dvd2usb from the DVD inserted in my desktop. Iwas given 3 choises: Run in Termina, Display , Cancel and Run. I clicked on Run in Terminal it flashed but nothing happened, Then clicked on RUN, again nothing happened.

PS: on the 13 April I wrote to “lxf.answers@futurenet.co.uk” with more detail, but I never had any answers. Maybe I missed it? Although I have been looking at every issue of the mag as I received them.
el10

Postby nelz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:35 am

The instructions in the magazine say to run it from a terminal, not with a mouse click. I recall replying to an Answers question on this in which I blamed the problem on sloppy work by the writer of dvd2usb. The solution is to install the dialog package then run dvd2usb.sh from a terminal.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby pmilne » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 pm

I had problems with LXF162 DVD using an 8GB SD card - dvd2usb gave drive space errors - the card is just over 7GB formatted so I used the file option first and created an iso on my PC HD, this was only 4.7GB. I then used dd to create a bootable SD like so:

sudo dd bs=1M if=LXFDVD162b.img of=/dev/sdb

dd can take 5 - 10 mins to complete so be patient. I can now boot from my SD on my eee-1005P and install the distros :)
pmilne

Making USB bootable from DVD

Postby el10 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Thank You Pmilne
I will try your suggestion.
el10
el10

Return to Help!