File Systems

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

File Systems

Postby Nuke » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:02 pm

LXF 177, P74 :

Neil Bothwick wrote "Files in NTFS can only be written to safely if the file already exists and the new file is the same length as the old one".

Well, I often read/write to NTFS from Linux, so I was alarmed; thought it was OK these days. But he then goes on to say that it's OK with Fuse. Seems that Fuse is a driver which is not within the Linux kernel. I don't really care if it is in the kernal or not, so what a relief. A bit misleading and alarming, that first statement. I do indeed have references to ntfs-3g in my fstab.

He goes on to say that NTFS was developed for Windows NT. Technically true, but he could have said it was (I understand) merely an incremental improvement of HPFS [High performance FS] which was delevoped for OS/2.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:24 pm

I did specify that I was referring to the kernel driver at that point. NTFS-3G does indeed write safely, it's a limitation of the driver, not the filesystem. So no, i don't consider the statement misleading, unless the meaning of my copy was changed while editing to fit the magazine (I don't have a copy to hand).

Yes, I could have gone into more details about the history of NTFS, but why? That wasn't the purpose of the tutorial and any historical trivia added would have been at the expense of more relevant information - like an explanation of the different between FUSE and in-kernel filesystems.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs