RPi and x86 Emulation

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RPi and x86 Emulation

Postby PeterM » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Evening all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried getting a binary compiled for x86 to run on a Raspberry Pi.
At the moment I'm trying bochs though cannot actually get anything to run. I've tried downloading a linux image from the bochs site but keeps throwing up an error. So I then tried making my own image using TinyCore but that too refuses to do anything. It always seems to complain about needing an option, not sure which option it's complaining about but there seems to be a lot of options to go through, understandably.
Which is why I'm hoping someone has already tried this out and would be kind enough to put the bochsrc file on this forum.

I'm also in the middle of downloading qemu, just so I can give that a go as well. Looking at the docs, it seems QEMU might be able to run a x86 binary without the need for a virtual host, which sounds ideal.

If I find out how to get it running in the mean time, I'll post it here as I'm sure I won't be the only one that would like to try it.

Cheers

Pete
PeterM

Postby dhester » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm

I have had windows 3 running via qemu on my pi(512mb) it wouldn't work on my 256mb version 1 PI. There is a link to an image file with various emulators on the Raspberrypi forums which works rather well.
dhester

quick update

Postby PeterM » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:39 pm

qemu seems to work a treat.
I finally managed to get an old version Red Hat 6 working, not newer ones for some reason. I think the guest OS wouldn't boot, or taking far too long, to load due to probing for hardware. This doesn't seem to be an issue with older distros. Then again, I may be completely wrong.
Still, now I've got my head around qemu and have a working image, I can tinker away to my hearts content.

thinking
I wonder if an event is generated when I plug headphones in? Saves putting a button on the RPi just to get it to play the IP address in my ear. Though nothing looks as good as a big red button.
/thinking
PeterM

Postby nelz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Why not have it email the address to you when the network connects?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!