Steam

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Steam

Postby Ram » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Well after humming and haring I took the plunge and upgraded to 12.04. Unity is dreadful. changed to LXDE, much better and installed Steam.

And then I installed Counter Strike: Source wow that plays very very well indeed.

Keep it up Valve.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20 pm

must admit .. wasn't particularly impressed with unity, but stuck with it to get steam working.

but Steam runs cracking. CS 1.6 boots to main menu in under 2 secs :-)

CS:Source, runs smoother than on windows with setting all set high and @ 1920x1080

So far so good..

:-)
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby Ram » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:04 pm

reklan wrote:must admit .. wasn't particularly impressed with unity, but stuck with it to get steam working.

I first tried Unity (upgrade from 10.04) on my laptop and then Kubuntu / xcfe before settling on LXDE , tested the Steam client knowing that it wouldn't be able to run the games, checking that I'd can still login to my Steam account.

Before attempting the upgrade on the desktop - which borked the video driver, couldn't run unity smoothly, need to re-install the driver before getting a smooth unfreezing desktop.

I don't get Unity, my app were upgrade and installed but can I find them without searching for them, not organised.

At least with LXDE, click menu, click sub category, click and launch app. 3 clicks done.

reklan wrote:but Steam runs cracking. CS 1.6 boots to main menu in under 2 secs :-)

Not installed this yet.

reklan wrote:CS:Source, runs smoother than on windows with setting all set high and @ 1920x1080

It's 2 years + since I've ran CS:Source on Windows but frame rate ( 30 - 80 fps @ 1920 * 1080 )is equal to COD4 running on Windows 7 on my ageing 8800 gts video card. It certainly runs better than my sons GT7950 in Windows 7 his drops to 19 fps @ 1920 * 1080.

Shopping for a couple GTX650 :)

Edit.

Ah =TPR=raklan

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I got steam on kubuntu working fine. Have to tell it to use alsa though cos pulse was being a problem (before I installed steam)

Also working fine on 3 monitors :)
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Crispy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Is steam available in the Ubuntu repo's? I've managed to get it working on 64-bit Mint 14 although it was a little bit of a pain!

It said there was dependency problems eventhough all the 32-bit libraries had been installed via the ia32-libs package - it was a 32-bit xterm which was needed. I did a apt-get -f install to fix the dependencies, unfortunately steam didn't work very well so I uninstalled the deb package and reinstalled and now it works like a dream :).

So not much of a pain but a little bit of one.. I've tried TF2 and CS:Source both run smoothly, just take a little while to load.
Crispy

Postby Ram » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:51 pm

No, well not for 12.04, it's just the 32 bit deb you get from Steam / Valve.

Installed perfectly, said some 32 bit library's were needed, it popped up a xterm and displayed the library's it was downloading and installing.

Ram
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 am

Edit.

Ah =TPR=Reklan

Yup tis me... you'll find me under that name for most FPS (mainly the battlefield series on Windows and stem games on Linux..
reklan

Postby reklan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am

Crispy wrote:So not much of a pain but a little bit of one.. I've tried TF2 and CS:Source both run smoothly, just take a little while to load.

Not sure of your PC spec, but mines a Q6600, with 4 gig, and a AMD 5770 1 gig.

Initially TF2 used to take ages for me as well, however after i reinstalled ubuntu 12.4.2 and installed the latest experimental drivers it makes a big difference.. TF2 used to take a few mins to load up (but run smoothly) now it takes hell of a lot less (i think around 15 secs) and runs even smoother.
reklan

Postby Crispy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 pm

No, well not for 12.04, it's just the 32 bit deb you get from Steam / Valve.

Installed perfectly, said some 32 bit library's were needed, it popped up a xterm and displayed the library's it was downloading and installing.

Originally I did try to install it using the software centre but it still said it had broken dependencies... no idea why! I did experiment with dpkg --add-architecture i386 and that meant I could at least search the i386 repo's but for some reason dpkg --print-architecture still only says amd64?? I'm not sure if the xterm it installed is actually 32-bit or not lol

Not sure of your PC spec, but mines a Q6600, with 4 gig, and a AMD 5770 1 gig.

Initially TF2 used to take ages for me as well, however after i reinstalled ubuntu 12.4.2 and installed the latest experimental drivers it makes a big difference.. TF2 used to take a few mins to load up (but run smoothly) now it takes hell of a lot less (i think around 15 secs) and runs even smoother.

Ahh ok, it might be I need the experimental drivers then, thanks for that shall give them a try. I've got a GT640, works very well.
Crispy

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm stuck with Windows - I game using an "exotic" setup, and while AMD appear to support EyeFinity in Linux... nVidia does not do the same with Surround. Worse, Portrait mode throws a further spanner in the works, as X can't seem to cope with three monitors in portrait - it thinks they're 1920x1920, rather than 1200x1920... :(

I may go back to landscape and try again, but I need to sort the desk out first...

edit: Grammar.
Paradigm Shifter

Return to Discussion