Ubuntu laptop internet issues

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu laptop internet issues

Postby heiowge » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:09 pm

I've got an old laptop that I've put Ubuntu 12.04 LXF Remix onto (then upgraded to 12.10).

Problem is I have network access via wired and wireless, but no internet.

ping -c 3 followed by the IP for google gives me the expected results. However, if I follow it with www.google.com or www.google.co.uk, I get

ping: unknown host www.google.co.uk

Any ideas? :?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Obviously not getting any nameservers by DHCP. Check /etc/resolv.conf if there's nothing in there then that's likely to be your problem.
The network applet (on which ever desktop you have chosen) should enable you to get nameservers via DHCP or set them manually.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: Ubuntu laptop internet issues

Postby mediamgl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 pm

heiowge wrote:Problem is I have network access via wired and wireless, but no internet.

This happens to me when I start the laptop without it being plugged in to a power supply. If I disable networking, then turn it back on, it again connects to my router, but also the internet works. It never does this when plugged in though; it only happens when first booted from battery.

Not a solution, but at least you are not alone. I haven't checked the Ubuntu forums...
mediamgl

Postby Ram » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:51 am

As Rhakios says DNS issue.

If using Network Manager, have a look at the connection info and see if it lists your IPS Primary / secondary DNS server IPs.

Compare that to your Desktop.

If /etc/resolv.conf is blank on the lappy or doesn't match the desktop, you could copy the file from the desktop to the lappy.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Return to Help!