Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheese crash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fede

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Cheese crash Reply with quote

Well, I was going to record a short video to be played at a meeting I could not attend, and Cheese crashed every single time I tried it - that was on Ubuntu 12.10, Mint 14.1, and (live DVD) Knoppix 7.0.4, on four different computers. At best, the window would freeze and eventually crash when I started "record video" (Mint and Knoppix), or, on Ubuntu, the window disappeared right away. I keep all of these distributions updated, so there must be something "basic" that's not set up properly (as you might guess, I used four different webcams, all of which work fine in terms of showing up or of working with, say, Skype).

Any suggestion is welcome - I don't expect to have a similar recording to come up very soon, but I'd rather not be blindsided again (and, that's right., I didn't send any video - when I tried my wife's Vista laptop as a last resort, there was no software to record video that I could find...)
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use a camera or a phone and upload that.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try guvcview from the repos of ubuntu. It is much better than cheese, in my opinion. I have never ever managed to get cheese to work recording videos, though it will take pictures.

There is also wxcam from http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxcam/files/wxcam/, but that would not record sound on my hardware, which is a dirt cheap logitech webcam and separate mic, whereas guvcview manages that easily.
fede

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Cheese crashing Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestion to try guvcview. I did try to find an alternate to cheese from Synaptic, but just missed this one. It does not freeze when I try to record a video, but it also does not seem to save anything. I am writing this before dipping into the man pages, but if you have any suggestion on how to record and save stuff, it would be great.

Thanks!!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Ubuntu 10.04 machine the video (capture.avi) is saved automatically to my Desktop, and I think the configuration for that is in the "Video and Files" tab of the guvcview Controls window.

Double check what the file is named in your "Controls" window and then see if you can find that named file; it may be autosaved in the same way as my videos are.
fede

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajgreeny wrote:
On my Ubuntu 10.04 machine the video (capture.avi) is saved automatically to my Desktop, and I think the configuration for that is in the "Video and Files" tab of the guvcview Controls window.

Double check what the file is named in your "Controls" window and then see if you can find that named file; it may be autosaved in the same way as my videos are.

Thanks - indeed, I found that out too. I guess I was surprised by the unusual interface, but it works really well. Thanks!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: