Mint 14 Cinnamon installation help; Wi-Fi

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mint 14 Cinnamon installation help; Wi-Fi

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Im waiting for a new laptop to arrive, (Zoostorm), it has no OS and I'd like to install Ubuntu, or maybe Mint.

Do I need an Internet connection to install Ubuntu or Mint?

In order to use Wi-Fi, do I have to do anything like download drivers from somewhere? Is it difficult to set up a laptop for Wi-Fi with Linux?

I remember reading in LXF mag something about putting Home on a separate partition or something?

The Laptop has 8gb ram, 500 gb hd and 2.4 ghz celeron processor. Would either of the two distros be more suited to laptop use or does it just come down to preference?

I'd really like to get the installation done properly first time round as I'm not exactly proficient, hence the questions.

Is there anything I should know specifically when installing on a PC with no OS? I take it it's just a case of starting the laptop and inserting a disk, will I need to reboot straightaway?

Thanks.
Last edited by TheWizardofOdds on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby xenopeek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Whether you need to install anything for the Wi-Fi depends on the brand and model of the Wi-Fi chip. If that information is not readily available on the vendor's website, we can help you figure that out once you have the laptop and you have booted into Linux Mint (okay, my preference :D as Linux Mint has a couple of extra tools installed to help with this, as compared to Ubuntu).

Hopefully you don't need to install anything and it will just work. It will be handy though to have a network cable available so you can use your laptop with wired Internet if the Wi-Fi needs some work.

You can install Linux Mint without an Internet connection, but for best results it is recommend to have one during installation (even if just temporarily with wired Internet for the installation).

There are no special steps for installing an operating system on a computer that doesn't yet have an operating system. In fact it makes the installation easier, as there is no risk of accidentally overwriting the other operating system or such. If your laptop is certified for use with Windows 8, you may need to go into the BIOS and disable secure boot. I don't think that is the case though.

With a 2.4 Ghz Celeron processor I would venture that you won't have the best performance with a more demanding desktop environment like Ubuntu's Unity. I'd recommend Linux Mint 64-bit with MATE instead. It depends a bit also on what graphics card you have?

You can download Linux Mint editions from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php. You can either burn a downloaded ISO onto a DVD, or you can put it on a USB stick with these steps: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744. Linux Mint 13 is the long-term support release, which you can use till April 2017. Linux Mint 14 is the latest release, with newer software and drivers, which you can use till April 2014.

As for putting home on a separate partition, yes you can do that but it will complicate the installation a bit. I'd be happy to add the manual partitioning steps here if you want, but Linux Mint's recommended way of installing a newer release (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2) will have you overwrite that partition upon installing the newer release.
xenopeek

Postby Ram » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Think you'll find it's this CPU, if it's the ebuyer model.

Intel Pentium Dual Core B980 CPU 2.4GHz

With 8 GB of ram :)

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby xenopeek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:59 pm

That processor has Intel HD Graphics 2000, and is a Sandy Bridge generation processor. Linux Mint 13 and 14 (or Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10) should both run fine on this.
xenopeek

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Ram wrote:Think you'll find it's this CPU, if it's the ebuyer model.

Intel Pentium Dual Core B980 CPU 2.4GHz

With 8 GB of ram :)

Correct Sir, good work.

After discussing the finer points on another thread regarding Eee PC, MSI wind etc I read elsewhere on the forum about zoostorm and it seems like a decent buy. Time will tell. I didn't exactly break the bank but spent a little more than I planned, but happy there's no Windows.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:56 pm

xenopeek wrote:That processor has Intel HD Graphics 2000, and is a Sandy Bridge generation processor. Linux Mint 13 and 14 (or Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10) should both run fine on this.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, xenopeek.

So the graphic card should be able to handle both then? Damn, I'm terrible at choosing at the best of times. :D

I've been using Ubuntu for about four years and get on well with it but I like the sound of Mint too. Is MATE the desktop? I think I'll buy the mag this month with Mint on and try at the library or something. What do you think about the other ones like cinnamon etc?

So if need be I can use Ethernet connection to start me off if I have Wi-Fi difficulties? Does the laptop automatically configure a connection with the Ethernet?

I think I'll leave the Home partition well alone, I'll have enough work just installing Mint!
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby xenopeek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Yes, the graphics card should handle both fine. Should also handle any desktop environment you want I think (I have a Sandy Bridge processor, with the sightly faster Intel HD Graphics 3000 and it runs everything without problems).

Linux Mint is fully compatible with Ubuntu, so all the same programs (also from PPAs) are available.

MATE is indeed the desktop environment, which is based on GNOME 2 that you may know from Ubuntu before Unity became the default. I'm running Cinnamon myself, and if you want you should give it a go. It is awesome :D I'd recommend you use Linux Mint 14 64-bit with Cinnamon, as that has major improvements over Linux Mint 13.

If you're very unlucky your ethernet chip may also need a special driver, but most likely it will just work. Normally, all you need to do is plug in the network cable in your computer on one end and in your router or Cable/DSL modem on the other end. After you boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD or USB stick, it will automatically connect to the Internet.

If you need further support during or after installation, you're welcome to post here or join the Linux Mint forums for that. You'll find me there easily.
xenopeek

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:54 pm

xenopeek wrote:...If you need further support during or after installation, you're welcome to post here or join the Linux Mint forums for that. You'll find me there easily.

I will do, thanks again.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:23 pm

The laptop arrived today, I hope to install later on tonight.

I noticed that it has a cd supplied that says 'device drivers and user manual'. What will the drivers be, and will I bother with this? I didn't expect to get anything like that because there's no OS installed.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 pm

They'll most likely be for Windows.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Ram wrote:They'll most likely be for Windows.

I didn't bother with the disk and I've now installed Mint 14 Cinnamon 64- bit.

The installation has gone well, just a couple of things;

I can't set up the Wi-Fi, I've had a look in Network connections it asks for these details;

ssid; I have this, I think it's the bt hub name?

bssid: ?

device mac address; ?

cloned mac address; ?

MTU; ?

mode; infrastructure or ad-hoc ?

I've tried to set up Thunderbird (?) email, it's gone ok until it asks for username and password. Username is my email address and password is my bt yahoo password? I logged on to bt to double check and the password's fine.Thunderbird says either username or password incorrect?

xenopeek, I've tried to register for the Mint forum but can't complete as I can't seem to drag the necessary words to the right on the registration page?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 pm

You'll need the firmware for wireless chip set - Have a look on the CD, you never know they may have included it.

I had the same issue with wifi on my Dell Mini 9 Netboot with MINT 14 XCFE 32 bit. Installed Manjaro before finding a solution for Mint even though I'd ran an updated while wired to the internet expecting the firmware to be pulled down automatically like it does with Ubuntu.

I was only testing the steam client on Mint 14 which worked so wasn't that bothered about the wifi.

Ram
LXF regular

Postby xenopeek » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:10 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:I can't set up the Wi-Fi, I've had a look in Network connections it asks for these details;

You shouldn't have to do this. Once your Wi-Fi drivers are installed, the Network Manager (icon on your panel in the lower right) should give you a list of detected Wi-Fi networks and you can click the one to connect to. You'll be asked for its password only I think.

I suggest you open a terminal, and run the following command and share the output here. This will tell us what network interfaces you have. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.
Code: Select all
inxi -Nxz

TheWizardofOdds wrote:I logged on to bt to double check and the password's fine.Thunderbird says either username or password incorrect?

BT Yahoo! has some help; I'd suggest trying following their "Use our quick and easy set-up guide" as they support Thunderbird for Mac and PC and it shouldn't be that different. Perhaps you need to give your full "username@foo.bar" email as username, or perhaps only the username part.
TheWizardofOdds wrote:xenopeek, I've tried to register for the Mint forum but can't complete as I can't seem to drag the necessary words to the right on the registration page?

Make sure you have enabled JavaScript in your browser (Edit > Preferences > Content > Enable JavaScript) and that you don't have any content blocking extensions active (like NoScript). I just tried, it should work for you. You click and hold with the left mouse button, then drag to the other column and release.
xenopeek

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Ram wrote:You'll need the firmware for wireless chip set - Have a look on the CD, you never know they may have included it.

I've had a look on the DVD and I'm sure it's all for Windows. Thought that would be the case.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 pm

I entered the command and this is the result:

Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.2
Card-2: Realtek Device 8723 port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0

Does that mean anything to you, xenopeek?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Next

Return to Help!