All my files, gone.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

All my files, gone.

Postby Kanibal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 am

I had been running 12.04 for a few days and it was awful, couldn't find my drives couldn't connect to the internet. Blah blah. So I pick up Linux Format and load the new 12.10 on to my desktop and even though I selected the option for it not to delete my files, it did. I'm a whole new user. I imagine I misinterpreted something, that's my fault. But is there a way to get my files back? ._.
I try but am so lost.
Kanibal

Postby nelz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 am

Did you create a different user? If so, your files are probably still in the old user directory. Try this command to see how much in in the home directories.

Code: Select all
sudo du -sch /home/*
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Kanibal » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 am

nelz wrote:Did you create a different user? If so, your files are probably still in the old user directory. Try this command to see how much in in the home directories.

sudo du -sch /home/*

Woah, ohkay that worked. :o So how do I access those files since on 12.10 it's saying I'm the only user.
I try but am so lost.
Kanibal

Postby nelz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am

It would have helped if you'd posted the output, but basisically you move the files you want from the old home directory tot he new one and then make then readable with

chown -R newusername: /home/newuser
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Kanibal » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 pm

nelz wrote:It would have helped if you'd posted the output, but basisically you move the files you want from the old home directory tot he new one and then make then readable with

chown -R newusername: /home/newuser

You're right. So this is what I get after entering my password.
11G   /home/erica
17G   /home/kaemen
27G   total

So "erica" is the old profile. I access those files with that code? Or I use a different code and use that one to make them readable?
I try but am so lost.
Kanibal

Postby nelz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:46 am

sudo chown -R kaeman: /home/erica

will transfer the ownership of the files to you. Then you can use whichever file manager you prefer to move the ones you want into your home directory.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Kanibal » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:11 pm

After I enter my password I don't get any feedback just another prompt to enter a command. I figured it might have just done it anyways but I went through a separate file directory and still found nothing. I also entered my profile name correctly I didn't just copy and paste. (Not knocking the fact it was mispelled just letting you know that isn't the issue.)
I try but am so lost.
Kanibal

Postby nelz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 am

you shouldn't get any output, most *nix commands only get verbose when things go wrong. The commands only changes the ownerships, they will still be in the old home directory but you can read and move them now.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!