Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Education software needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Education software needed Reply with quote

My daughter has an autistic spectrum disorder. One of her problems relates to her recall of facts out of sequence.

She is struggling to learn her times tables. She is 9 and is falling behind her 5 year old brother with her 2x tables.

I've looked on ebay for decent flash cards for tables, but they're not cheap and printing my own doesn't work too well. I could make some, but it'd be better if there was a decent program to do the job.

Can anyone recommend a program or educational suite with that sort of thing?

Cheers.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if gcompris has exactly what you want, but if not it may still be worth a look-see for other attractive maths and reasoning "games" for children.
Oh well!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Many options Reply with quote

There are many options to choose from:

My daughter also has SEN and she has found a lot to enjoy and learn from in GCompris and TuxMaths. I cannot remember if flash cards, specifically, are part of the packages, but there are plenty of good activities.

For printable flash cards, you could try this: http://www.kitzkikz.com/flashcards/index.php. It seems to work pretty well: you just need to do the printing and scissor work.

This is an online flash card site/app/thingummy: http://www.multiplication.com/games/play/quick-flash-ii

And a web search for 'times tables games' yields many, many good resources.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of alternatives: you could help her to develop the skills she has; it is not uncommon for people to have a difficulty in one area but proficiency in another.

I well remember a girl of 16 who could read the Times but had difficulty counting up to 10; she simply learned to work round the areas with which she had difficulty.

Alternatively, you could ask for a neurological assessment; the area of the brain which humans use for numbers over three was never intended for mathematics and there are some well-known conditions arising from damage to this area which create difficulties developing a 'number sense.'
pastychomper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a flashcard program for KDE, kwordquiz. I can't see any times-table flashcard files on the site (didn't look very hard) but you can make your own, and it might be easier than making a printed set.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own 2x and 3x table flash cards old school in the end. They work great but took a while to do.

I'll have a play with all that suggested software when I get my main desktop fixed. Hopefully there's something in there that'll do the job.

Cheers.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: