Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texting script

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Texting script Reply with quote

I am in urgent need of a script that sends text messages. Let me explain: over the years the credit on my account of my mobile phone ISP has been steadily rising, for the simple reason I just don't call that much. It's gone now into serious figures and I asked my ISP for a refund. They refuse point blank. Right. But that makes me even more determined they will not get it. The solution is to text messages to charities. But the ISP is not to know I'm not doing the texting myself, it's a script doing it. Unfortunately the device has Win-Mobile installed and I have no idea how that works... (nor do I want that, mind you!) So I want to ask your help. The script (batch-file?) preferably has a config file in plain text, specifying:

1) the number of times a message should be texted,
2) the number to text,
3) the content of the message
4) the interval the messages are send

The script should stop after the specified number of messaged has been reached and optionally deal with any replies, by moving them to a separate folder. Ideally it should be able to send multiple messages simultaneously, but that's might be too much for a simple script.

The reason it's urgent is that on Jan, 1st. a new law comes into force, effectively raising the price of electronic gadgets like mobile phones, MP3 players, harddrives, etc etc, by as much as 5 euro's to "compensate copyrightholders of the entertainment industry for illegally downloaded material from the internet" Evil or Very Mad So, I'm buying a new phone this month instead... Rolling Eyes

Can you help? The charities would be grateful! Wink
dhester

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you had googled you would have found several projects that use the raspberry pi to do exactly what you want to do. There are examples in python that could be adapted to any device that can run python.

Which version of windows is your mobile using. I have several devices that use various versions of windows mobile and could point you in the right direct to a programme that may work on your mobile.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that my phone is 7+ years old and I doubt it could handle python*. As for the Win-version: I have no clue where to find it**. The device says it's platform is PocketPC with a 2.21.2.5 ROM version.

*it reports to have a 16 bit bus and 64 MB memory, so python will struggle I guess...

**well, I did find it, in the end: it's Win-Mobile 5.1.195 (Build 14847.2.0.0)
dhester

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I am allowed to post a direct link so google for windows mobile 5.1 apps and first five links take you to software you can try.

Could you not get a keystroke recorder to record the key strokes and play that back.

I have win mobile 5.1 on an old HP device, I will dig it out the pile over the weekend and see what is on it. I did have the SDK for win mobile 5.1 and made a couple of small programmes, as they were called then, to do some tasks I needed. Win mobile uses .Net framework as I recall.

Could you not get a cheap android phone and code for that, the tutorial in Linuxformat is a good one to follow. (shameless grovelling there!). I have just done a quick google and found six or seven apps for android that may do some of what you want. I will charge my Android phone up and try some for you.

Python is available for Android so I will see if the Raspberry pi scripts work on android if I get time over the weekend.

Approximately how many texts do you need to send?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying! It's in the 400-500 range. But for individual charities it'll be lower, like 200 or so. That's why I like a config file, to change the target. I'll have a google, thx!
dhester

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got python and one of the scripts for the raspberry pi working on android, now to see if I can adapt it to read config file and loop properly.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, much appreciated!
dhester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had chance to work on the script today, I was watching my son play football.

But i found this Auto SMS which works on android 2.1 and above where you can schedule a text to a number and schedule the time interval between texts. Not 100% what DM you are after but it might help if you could get a cheap android phone or you could borrow one for a couple of days.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying! The key is: I can't use an Android phone... The ISP has locked down the device to the SIM card, so I'm forced to use this cr*p... Evil or Very Mad It has to run on the Win-version I posted earlier, otherwise it won't work Sad (still need to do that google though, work intervened unfortunately Confused )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: