[SOLVED] Graphics problems on new PC

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

[SOLVED] Graphics problems on new PC

Postby Crispy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:26 am

Hi all,

I bought a new desktop PC from ebuyer recently:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/395308

It's now been discontinued but I only bought it last week. I haven't touched it until this morning because I have been pretty busy. I put in a Fedora 17 XFCE live CD and I get a serious amount of pixelation so much so the screen is basically unreadable. I put in a LXF DVD from a while ago (the one with 2 DVDs and a lot of distros) I tried to boot into the Fedora 17 that is on that DVD and it flashes a few times then I don't even get an image apart from a few pixels at the top! So I tried Mint Cinnamon and I don't get an image at all.

I have absolutely no idea what could be causing it. I am currently running a mem test from the LXF dvd to see if that throws anything.

I have checked the Fedora 17 XFCE live cd in my laptop and it works fine (AMD Radeon graphics) and have also checked the monitor on my laptop and there are no problems. I have also tried the Fedora 17 XFCE live cd in my other laptop which has a Core i5 and Intel HD graphics (much like the desktop) and that works perfectly no problems at all.

The only other thing that my desktop has is a UEFI BIOS, could that be causing the issue? I am completely stumped as to why this isn't working and so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Last edited by Crispy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crispy

Postby heiowge » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 am

Have you tried alternate monitors / different graphics cards?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:58 am

Don't alter the hardware, it'll violate your warranty! If it is defective hardware, you'll need to get it back to the seller with any seals intact...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 am

I agree with DM if it doesn't work it is "not fit for purpose" and under the Sale of Goods Act* you can get a full refund

*"If you want your money back
If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to reject it which means you can give it back and get your money back.

But, the law only gives you a reasonable time to do this – what's reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is.

However, even with major purchases or complex items, it’s safest to work on the basis you usually have no more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it."
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Crispy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for your replies. Yeah I am thinking of sending it back and getting a new one or building my own. I haven't tried any other graphics cards as I haven't got any and the machine only comes with onboard graphics. I don't think the problem is with the monitor as I have tried the Fedora 17 XFCE live cd with this monitor on my laptop and it worked fine!

I did wonder if it was just the port so might have to find my VGA to DVI adapter to try the DVI port instead see if that makes any difference but if it does work then it's definitely faulty and I might as well just send it back now.

Or it's possibly a compatibility issue but its just a 3rd Gen i5 with onboard HD graphics, probs HD 4000, so I can't see how that would be an issue.

Thanks,
Chris
Crispy

Postby Bruno » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi Crispy,

Try another, recently-released distro and see what you get. Also try an installation DVD (as opposed to a CD), the F17 live CD may only have a limited selection of drivers due to space constraints.

F17 may be the problem, not the hardware. More likely though is the combination of both.
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Good point by Bruno. Try if you can install a core distro, like Debian w/o the graphics. If that works, go from there.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Crispy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Thank you for your replies Bruno and Dutch_Master. I have tried other distributions however they were all from the LXF DVD which has Fedora 17 (Gnome), Mageia, Mint Cinnamon, OpenSUSE, PCLinuxOS, and a few others, so as there is so many I would imagine that each one is equivalent to the standard live cd of that distro? So I will try the DVD version this weekend and let you know how it goes. If that still doesn't work then I will try a core distro like Debian or maybe Arch, as I can build that from scratch, but only if I'm feeling adventurous / can remember what to do lol :).

What's really weird is that the splash screens appear to be fine, there is no pixelation at all.

Thank you again for your replies, I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris
Crispy

Postby Rhakios » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:56 am

Crispy wrote:
What's really weird is that the splash screens appear to be fine, there is no pixelation at all.

Splash screen uses a different method of rendering, framebuffer or direct VESA rendering. The desktop will be rendered by the appropriate driver for xorg.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Bruno » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:54 pm

I've just been online to see the specs of your PC and I noticed that it has an Intel graphics chip. This isn't a problem in itself, but I do now remember a problem with Intel graphics drivers that occurred around the time openSUSE 11.1 was released...

The Intel graphics drivers that were shipped with that distro (and many others that were released around the same time) were below par. Somehow the next release of beta drivers that were still under development found their way into the published driver repository, or perhaps they were pushed out too early, I can't remember exactly how it happened These drivers were then duly taken up by distros and the rest is history.

I've not heard any negative reports re: Intel graphics drivers since 11.1, but perhaps you should also check with a 6-12 month-old distro, just to be on the safe side. If there are problems though, this could be why you are getting the same results with every distro you try, as they are all recent releases.
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Mint 14 as problems with UEFI, Intel GPUs among others, hence the release of 14.1. See here.

Edit:
I'm inclined to wonder if other recent distros share any of these problems.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Crispy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:27 am

Thank you Rhakios and Bruno for your replies!

I must admit I didn't realise that the splash screen used a different method - that would back up Bruno's suggestion that its the drivers that are the problem rather than hardware - phew!

This morning I downloaded the Fedora 17 DVD so will try that, however if the problem, as Bruno suggested, is the Intel drivers that ship with the distros from around that time then I expect to see the same problem but I should be able to switch to a virtual terminal to do all the updates.

I did suspect whether UEFI was at fault but I thought that would mean the distro wouldn't have booted at all? To be honest, I don't know that much about UEFI so to be on the safe side, I disabled it in the BIOS and so should be using a legacy BIOS.

I also tried my DVI - VGA adapter to see if the VGA port was faulty, only to find that the DVI port is DVI-D and the adapter is DVI-I so had 4 extra pins - slightly annoying but there we go.

Thank you again for your replies, it is much appreciated.
I will post back when I have installed Fedora 17 from the DVD to let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Chris
Crispy

Postby Crispy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 am

SOLVED :) Thank you all for your replies.

The issue was indeed a dodgy driver that was shipped with the distro as Bruno and Rhakios suggested. I tried to install from the DVD but the installer must use the same X driver as it was all pixelated. However, I went into the live CD and switched to a virtual terminal to update the dodgy driver and the desktop worked perfectly - I feel a bit stupid that I didn't think of doing that sooner :S.

So I am now all installed and up-to-date. Also as a plus my Nexus 7 has just been shipped :) this week is going to be a good one :).

Thank you all again for your replies, it is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Crispy

Return to Help!