Replacement for Delphi

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Replacement for Delphi

Postby Colin White » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm a relatively new convert to Linux having been brought up on Windows since v3.1 (pre-workgroups!).

I also have many years experience programming in Delphi. For those who don't know it is (was?) an object orientated event driven language with lots of powerful objects like charts, spreadsheets etc. as well as the usual radio buttons, check boxes etc. You could drop them onto the form, write the code and produce an executable. Simples - sometimes.

I would like to know if there an open source equivalent to this that I can run on a Linux platform?
I'm trying to do some mathematical modelling involving maybe animations drawn over a playing video etc.
As I remember Kylix was the Linux version of Delphi but it's wasn't open source.
I don't mind if my programs run inside a browser or stand-alone.

Thanks

Col
Colin White

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi,

Try looking at Lazarus http://lazarus.freepascal.org/

It is based on freepascal and has quite a high level of compatibility with ObjectPascal used by Delphi.

The IDE looks extremely similar to Delphi 5 era although not all of the VCL will be compatible there are equivalent components.

/Jonathan
====================
/Jonathan
Jonathanwri73

Solved

Postby Colin White » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 pm

That is wonderful. It looks spot on. I never expected to find anything so Delphi-like. Swift learning curve (hopefully)

Thanks so much
Colin White

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:50 am

That's brilliant; thanks from me, too. :)
Paradigm Shifter

Return to Programming