Local mail delivery

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Local mail delivery

Postby GregS » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 am

I have a number of family members' accounts on the home PC. I would like to be able to email (using Evolution) between users, offline ( ie without transmission outside the PC itself).

Once. long ago in the days when I was just starting in Linux (Red Hat 9), I managed to set up Evolution email accounts that accessed both internal mail and external (POP) mail seamlessly.

I try to do a similar set up in current versions of Evolution, it falls over and won't send mail when configured to use local delivery/sendmail (as per Evolution setup wizard). I keep getting messages similar to:
Code: Select all
 Cannot get transport for local_mbox-transport
- when it does not simply lock up.

How do I configure this?
GregS

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:12 am

you may need to install a mail server locally, if one is not installed and active
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby GregS » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:you may need to install a mail server locally, if one is not installed and active

Mmm. Maybe I got one with my Red Hat 9 and didn't know it. I have never (intentionally) installed a mail server in the past...any suggestions/hints?
GregS

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 pm

what distro?
some distros nstall a mail server as standard, just for internl mail.
others don't
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby GregS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:24 am

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:what distro?
some distros nstall a mail server as standard, just for internl mail.
others don't

Fedora 16 currently (sorry, should have mentioned that in the first place). I'm pretty sure there are a number of optional mail servers, but I've never got into loading and configuring them in the past (have some reference books, but when it gets to this topic I quietly close them and slowly walk away... :roll: )
GregS

Postby bigblack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:06 pm

I am wondering whether you could deliver from evolution via a procmail script. You wouldnt need to install a mailserver.
bigblack

Return to Help!