LXF 162 DVDs - O Happy Dayz...(No problems)!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF 162 DVDs - O Happy Dayz...(No problems)!

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Me gast has been properly flabbered!

Apart from Mint 13 (32-bit?) there is Parted Magic and System Rescue and all of the best of the rest.

Truly awesome - well done guys.

Slowly now, into install mode. Find me 2Gb disgo, Start to prune the /home/david/ file system (not to mention ./moz/cache/*.*) and try to remember what to save as settings. And where...

Should be ready to go by the weekend.

Best regards

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby Mr. Flibble » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:07 am

It wa certainly interesting looking through that lot today.
The only one Iwas really interested in was Arch, as I have previously tried the others (apart from peppermint).

Unfortunately, I didnt see any indication of how to boot into a live session on Arch. Is it possible?
Mr. Flibble

Postby ajgreeny » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

@ Mr Flibble
There seems to be a big problem with your avatar not displaying but simply giving a large box with an error saying the image is not available.

Can you sort that out please, as it is very annoying. It appears on all your posts, not just this one!
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:55 am

I've deleted the avatar as it makes any topic unreadable on a netbook. Mr Flibble, feel free to upload a new avatar, one of a suitable size (60x60).
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Mr. Flibble » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:16 pm

That's weird. I didnt even know I had an avater set up.
Nothing at all showed up when viewing threads after posting.
Sorry about that...whatever happened.
Mr. Flibble

Postby paulm » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:43 am

Mr. Flibble wrote:It wa certainly interesting looking through that lot today.
The only one Iwas really interested in was Arch, as I have previously tried the others (apart from peppermint).

Unfortunately, I didnt see any indication of how to boot into a live session on Arch. Is it possible?

Recent Arch isos are esentially netinstall systems. They don't come with X installed, nor with much else. You get to do all the work...

If you want to take a look at an Arch derived system, there are several around - ArchBang, Bridge and Manjaro. The latter two provide a live system with the ability to install. The installers are relatively primitive, but work just fine. So far as I know, but Bridge and Manjaro offer versions with different DEs. I've used the Xfce version of both, quite happy with them.

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby SiriusHardware » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:57 pm

I bought a Raspberry Pi and was sufficiently intrigued / baffled by my first encounters with Linux on that machine to want to try out 'normal' Linux on one of my many spare old PCs - I was wondering just where I would go about getting hold of Linux (Ideally Debian, since that's the parent of the 'Raspbian' I'm running on the Raspberry Pi) and I wandered past a newsagent's shelf and saw LXF sagging under the weight of numerous Linux distros -

So thanks for solving that one for me. I now have a PC running Debian 6.

However, as is often the case, answers lead to more questions - am I right in thinking that the distros on those two coverdiscs do NOT include the Kernel source files, at least for Debian 6? I'm now at the point where I need to compile the driver for my Ralink wireless card, with chipset identified as a Ralink 3060.

Part of the compilation process involves editing one of the Ralink-provided files to point at the 'Linux Kernel Source Files Path', but I'm not entirely convinced that the source files came on the disc.

Did they?
SiriusHardware

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs