Video playlists

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Video playlists

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:14 pm

I thought I'd asked before, but apparently I haven't... Here it goes then:

For an upcoming event I need to show a number of video's. These will be on the harddrive of a Debian machine, so far as iso files. Unfortunately they require manual input to get them started as dvd's. I already figured I'd need a playlist to play them in sequence, and the playlist should start pretty much automagically after booting up. The latter can be done with a simple script (like: "wait 30 sec's, execute playlist") but I'm a bit stuck on the manual input.

Any suggestions? Transcode (dvd::rip) still doesn't work...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Code: Select all
for file in list of files; do
  mplayer -dvd-device $file dvd://1
done

will play title 1 of each ISO.

Alternatively, you can extract the titles you want with

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile mymovie.mpg -dvd-device mymovie.iso dvd://$titlenum
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:00 am

Thanks (again) Nelz. I figured there must be an easier way to get round it and there is... First, transcode the dvd's to .ogm then list them all in an m3u file. SMplayer handles it all, I assume Totem does too. I've tried it with some .vob files and it transitions between files (almost) invisible. Almost there, just the transcoding to do... The first took almost 12 hours :shock: :evil: Maybe just use the .vob files then... :roll: :wink:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 am

Or use mplayer -dumpstream to rip the MPEG stream fro the DVD without transcoding, which goes as fast as your DVD drive can read the disc.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 am

Good tip, thx!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:44 am

Quick update: In the end I decided to convert the .VOB files I ripped from the dvd's into an mp4 (actually m4v) file using Handbrake. After that, I found a bash command to list all these m4v files in a single text file, which I modified to include their full paths:
find ~/ -type f -iname "*.m4v" >> playlist.m3u

(link)

Next, instruct SMplayer (the player of choice in my case, you might make a different one based on your preferences) to play the files from the playlist and at the same time, have it run full-screen and from a script:
#!/bin/bash

smplayer -fullscreen playlist.m3u &
Save as smplayer.sh in the home dir of the user running the video (I created an extra user for this). Finally, to start the playlist at boot time, add the smplayer.sh script (make it executable!) to the startup sequence for that user. I've done it the "easy" way, via the method described here: link

To be complete, I modified the login manager so it now automagically boots to the extra user I created for this purpose. It then starts SMplayer using the playlist specified. You can kill that with Alt-F4 instantly, so one can perform normal tasks on the machine :)

HTH!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Help!