Newbee G3 iMac install Help needed

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Newbee G3 iMac install Help needed

Postby Jonny1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 am

I'm so new this is my second attempt at posting. Sorry if I have double posted.

My problem is that I'm trying to install Xubuntu onto my old Blueberry G3 iMac. This is what is happening.

All seems well at the start. It goes into a startup screen that installs and checks various routines. Then it goes to a black screen that asks for a Login name and a password. The problem is I haven't a blue clue as to what to do next. The following is what is on the screen.
Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS tty1
Ubuntu Login:
Password:

Can anyone help this novice get to the next step? Thanks in advance of any help. Regards Jonny.
Jonny1

Postby arochester » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:54 am

6.06 LTS is 2006 June (O6) It is 6 years old an unsupported. A more recent PPC disk might help.

Do you know how much RAM your G3 has? There are 2 different install disks. The Desktop disk is both a LiveCD and an install. It takes 300Mb+ to install. The Alternate disk is just an install disk and only needs 64Mb to put in.
arochester

Re: Newbee G3 iMac install Help needed

Postby catgate » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:49 am

Jonny1 wrote:I'm so new this is my second attempt at posting. Sorry if I have double posted.

My problem is that I'm trying to install Xubuntu onto my old Blueberry G3 iMac. This is what is happening.

All seems well at the start. It goes into a startup screen that installs and checks various routines. Then it goes to a black screen that asks for a Login name and a password. The problem is I haven't a blue clue as to what to do next. The following is what is on the screen.
Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS tty1
Ubuntu Login:
Password:

Can anyone help this novice get to the next step? Thanks in advance of any help. Regards Jonny.

Speaking from my unfathomable depths of ignorance I would suggest you give it the Name by which want it to recognised you and also a Password by which you can assure it that you are who you say you are when you log in.
It may well then go on with the rest of the installation and ask you a few more relevant questions.
Good luck.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Jonny1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks to both of you for replying. As I said I'm a newbee I tried an older version because I seen a suggestion on a site to do so. I have about 500mb of memory. I put a login name and password on the original install but they have not been recognised. I also tried Mint but this isn't even picked up by the machine. I'm tending towards the skip for this imac. As I have installed Ubuntu very easily on my laptop. Again thanks for your imputs.

Regards

Jonny
Jonny1

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 am

The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Thanks but G3 is now in skip.

Postby Jonny1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 pm

First many thanks for your replies. Alas the G3 is now resting, and finally at peace in the local council skip. It died today because it refused point blank to install Ubuntu. It labourered for over an hour pretending to install, but refused to either install the software section of the disk, followed by the Yaboot portion of said disk.

Thus, after doing my best Basil Fawltey impression of shouting then assulting it with a heavy object it passed away to that great techno paradise in the sky. Rest in Pieces.

Adieu mon berry bleu. :lol: :twisted:
Jonny1

Postby catgate » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Ah! the memory.
Many many years ago I had a G3 that met a similar fate for much the same sort of temperamental behaviour.
The only difference was that mine was a Matchless G3 motor cycle that would not concur with it's raison d'etre.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

G3 RIP

Postby Jonny1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:09 pm

As a biker myself I know the feeling. My lame duck was a Gilera scrambler it lost more oil than the Axxon Valdez. Hung on to that thing until my girlfriend became my wife. The bike not the wife. :D

Good luck. All.
Jonny1

Re: G3 RIP

Postby catgate » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Jonny1 wrote:As a biker myself I know the feeling. My lame duck was a Gilera scrambler it lost more oil than the Axxon Valdez. Hung on to that thing until my girlfriend became my wife. The bike not the wife. :D

Good luck. All.

My best bike was a R100RT that I bought in 1988 and continued running until 2005. when I was 72, and age and health told me to "put away childish things".
It took us all over the UK, Europe and the Emerald Isle. Wonderful creation.
The wife fell asleep on it traveling down the E31 near Koblenz at 112mph. Very smooth quiet creature (the bike not the wife!).
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Return to Help!