Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandrake Kernel Reports Disk Errors Query

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Mandrake Kernel Reports Disk Errors Query Reply with quote

For reasons I will put at the end of this message in case anyone is interested, I installed the kernel 2.6.3 from Mandrake 10.0 onto a Mandrake 10.1 system, which has a default kernel of 2.6.8.1.

The rpm 2.6.3 from Mandrake 10.0 installs fine in 10.1, no errors. Configured lilo.conf and re-booted into the 2.6.3 kernel. The boot up reported a corrupt disk (hda5) which is my 10.1 installation, excluding /home. It reported a corrupt superblock and I got a prompt asking me whether I wanted to fix it. I said no. Rebooting back into the 2.6.8.1 kernel everything was ok, no corrupt disk, all started up ok.

The Mandrake 10.1 installation was a standard one and the disk is formated with ext3.

So my question, is why does a 2.6.3 kernel from Mandrake 10.0 think that an ext3 disk on a Mandrake 10.1 installation is corrupt?

The reason for doing this "strange" act. On the pc in question, under Mandrake 10.0 I could play dvds ok. Now with Mandrake 10.1, with
Kaffine - Video fine, but sound stops after a few seconds. Minimise video and sound comes back fine after a few seconds.
XINE GUI - Sound is fine, by video is very slow and xine reports dropped frames.

I installed the 2.4 kernel that comes with Mandrake 10.1, and with this the DVDs play fine, just like they did with the 2.6.3 kernel under Mandrake 10.0.

So I thought why not try the 2.6.3 kernel from Mandrake 10.0 and see what that does?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: