Virtualbox problem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Virtualbox problem

Postby stuarte9 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi folks,

I've just had to re-install WinXP on VirtualBox, which in turn is running on Fedora 15. (I just haven't had time to upgrade Fedora yet.) VB is currently set to use 512MB RAM and 10GB HDD.

The problem is that I can't get it to switch to full screen mode. When I select this option from VB's File menu, all that happens is that the KDE desktop disappears, leaving a standard sized VB window/desktop surrounded by a large black border all around.

If I again re-install VB and set the RAM to 1GB, would that fix the problem ? As for the graphics card, its a GeForce FX5200 with 256MB on-board memory which is being used with the Nouveau driver.. I don't suspect either of these to be the problem as they work fine in other programs.

I really do want to get the best out of this VB/XP setup so any help that can be given would be very much appreciated.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:43 pm

There's no point in reinstalling VB, RAM allocation is set for each virtual machine. You don't say how much memory you have overall, I wonder if you could be running out of memory when it tries to go full screen and that allocating less to the VM may help.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Have you installed the VB tools not sure if they are required for full screen or not.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby stuarte9 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:19 am

Good morning folks,

Thanks very much for the replies.

@nelz: I;m using P4 @ 2GHz with 2 GB RAM. When I installed VB, it suggested 512 MB RAM. I just went with what it suggested.

@Ram: I didn't know there was such a thing as VB tools. I have installed the Guest additions though. If Guest additions is not(!) the same thing as VB tools, where do I find VB tools for the VB 4.0.x that I'm using ?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby Ram » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am

stuarte9 wrote:
@Ram: I didn't know there was such a thing as VB tools. I have installed the Guest additions though. If Guest additions is not(!) the same thing as VB tools, where do I find VB tools for the VB 4.0.x that I'm using ?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Best regards,

Stuart

Yes it was the guess additions I meant, I found without them I couldn't get full screen in the past.

BTW how much memory did you give to the graphic in VB.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Return to Help!