Root partition size & other numpty questions

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Rhakios wrote:My head is aching now. Before nelz can pop in with another bogglingly complicated solution, I just want to say, back up and sort it out with a complete reinstall.

:P

If the disk is damaged, I'd say back up and replace the disk ASAP. Bad blocks have a tendency to breed like tribbles.

If you really want to use this disk, just use badblocks to map out the damaged areas. It generates a list of no-go areas on the disk that you then pass to mke2fs so it knows to mark those blocks as unavailable when it creates the filesystem.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 pm

update: Reinstalled debian over the top of whatever was supposed to be corrupted. Still the same symptoms.

Then I realised that the weather had been warming up. Took off the cover. Mmm, nice stable system. Moral: Box built in winter may not survive summer.

Interestingly, Mint gave my user profile a bit of a makeover that the debian reinstall then left alone. Minty debian: mm, nice.

Memo to self: get another HD before the bubble bursts.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:57 pm

guy wrote:
Memo to self: get another HD before the bubble bursts.

And a bigger fan :wink:

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby guy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Ram wrote:And a bigger fan :wink:

Though I suspect it's the PSU going funny, in which case the bigger fan will draw more power....
Talking of cases, I seem to have a spare one. I feel a new build coming on.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Help!