Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experiences from using Unison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaddack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Experiences from using Unison Reply with quote

Hi.

I want some way to synchronize files between my laptop and my stationary computer. I was thinking about writing a script that uses rsync to do this. But then I found out about a program called Unison which seems to made exactly for situations like mine.

Does anyone here have any experience from using Unison? Does it work well? What about merging files and so on? Does that work as expected? Any disastrous bugs?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Experiences from using Unison Reply with quote

shaddack wrote:
Hi.

I want some way to synchronize files between my laptop and my stationary computer. I was thinking about writing a script that uses rsync to do this. But then I found out about a program called Unison which seems to made exactly for situations like mine.

Does anyone here have any experience from using Unison?

Yes.

Quote:
Does it work well?

Yes.

Quote:
What about merging files and so on? Does that work as expected?

It copies changes to files rather than the entire file and by default will prefer the most recent version, regardless of the machine it is on. You can opt to change this behaviour on a per file basis. If you were to make changes to the same file on two different machines, it would not merge them, rather it would prefer the most recently changed file.

Quote:

Any disastrous bugs?

Not for the last three years AFAICR.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Experiences from using Unison Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
If you were to make changes to the same file on two different machines, it would not merge them, rather it would prefer the most recently changed file.

That must be down to how you have configured it. It doesn't prefer either file when both are changed, it skips those files on a sync unless I tell it which one to copy.

I've been using Unison for several years (at least five or six) and have found it to be excellent at what it does, although I've only ever used it between Linux machines.
shaddack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I tried Unison yesterday to sync files from my netbook to my stationary computer and it worked well.

This is the kind of solution I have been looking for.

Now it is easy to bring some files with me in the netbook when I'm on the go and then sync them back when I get home. Excellent! Smile
Bruno
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Unison, too. Once you are comfortable with its basic functions, you can get creative by synchronising over a network via an SSH connection and adding more "power user" settings to the config files. It is now an essential tool for me. Good luck!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: