My bête noire.....Gimp

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby ajgreeny » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 pm

catgate wrote:Over the last week or two I have had several attempts to download Gimp 2.6.xx onto my Ubuntu 10.04 system after "complete removal", by SPM, of my existing abomination rejoicing under the appelation of "Gimp 2.7.2".

Each time, after using various repositories, I always finish up with 2.7.2 back again, despite the fact that to all intents and purposes the item I am supposedly downloading is 2.6.xx.

Surely there must be a way of fishing out of the archives a version of 2.6.xx and popping it onto my machine? Or am I relying on my rose tinted spectacles too much?

You must therefore have enabled the ppa repository for gimp 2.7. possibly http://ppa.launchpad.net/matthaeus123/m ... svn/ubuntu, so when you open synaptic go to Settings ->Repositories Other software tab and look for a selected repository with either that address or another that you don't recognise. You can quickly find out if it's the repository by using the Origin filter in the left hand pane and checking what it contains. Once you've found it deselect that repo and uninstall then reinstall gimp and you'll be back at 2.6.x.

Just for your info, on my test install partition of ubuntu 12.04 (using the gnome-panel-fallback DE) I have installed gimp 2.8. It's great! No problems at all that I have found so far.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks for that, aj. You were correct in your diagnosis. In my frantic ignorance I had used a few different (non-standard) repos and despite my removing Gimp 2.7, before trying to down load 2.6.xx, it was getting replaced from one or other of these sources.I removed them and tried again to load 2.6.8 from the "official" ones (page 1).
It all seemed to go swimmingly, and now SMP shows me that I infact have 2.6.8 onboard. Additionally I was guides to remove SANE and XSANE and replace them which I did.
The outcome is that now although I appear to have the "right" bits when I try to fire up from the Graphics drop down panel all I get is a little arrow circulating clockwise in a small white blob.
I fear I may have done something untoward.

Re the 12.04 test machine ...I too have a Gimp 2.6.xx on mine (don't ask how) and that seems to be fairly begnign. Although I have not used it seriously yet as I am still trying to shift the max/min/close buttons back to where they should be (top right) and so far I have not found a satisfactory trick to give me the result I want.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Cough cough, hadn't I already suggest that. :wink:

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby guy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:39 pm

catgate wrote:
nelz wrote:They do, Ubuntu routinely use bleeding edge versions, it is based on Debian Testing. If you want tried and tested versions with minimal changes, go for Debian Stable.

Well I'll be %^& *()%%)" &^ $%^& ed!!!!!! :roll:

So how does this square up with L.T.S. ?

Now, now, don't be hasty. Debian Testing is not exactly bleeding-edge. Indeed, it is a good deal more staid (and hence stable) than many a run-of-the-mill distro. It just isn't that crusty and stable.

Ubuntu puts a few bleeding-edge rockets under debian Testing. Periodically debian Testing migrates across to Stable - a good candidate for an Ubuntu LTS (though ISTR Canonical have sometimes also provided LTS for an intermediate "frozen" version of Testing).

Mint then makes Ubuntu smoother and shinier - but, fortunately, no less stable. I saw some recent stats that suggest Mint has overtaken Ubuntu as the most popular distro download.

I'll bet there's a distro or two based on Mint somewhere, too.

P.S. Did that comedy technical manager have pointy hair?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Ram wrote:Cough cough, hadn't I already suggest that. :wink:

When I look back at your reply I must agree that you indeed did suggest that.
The odd thing is that at the time of reading it I was quite unsure of what you meant, (remember you are dealing with an octogenarian retard!), and only after reading aj's reply, and farting about a little, did I begin to understand.
I have an old lifelong chum who lives (well exists) in a care home up in Guisborough, and the poor chap is paralysed down one side and can only grunt. I shall be coming up to visit him in the next week or two, so I shall call in and you can kick my arse for being thick :oops:

I am left with no clue as to what is causing this:-

The outcome is that now, although I appear to have the "right" bits, when I try to fire up, from the Graphics drop down panel, all I get is a little arrow circulating clockwise in a small white blob.

edit:- Correction.
The little arrows that are circulating are not arrows but pulsating ovoids.
Last edited by catgate on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:48 pm

guy wrote:
P.S. Did that comedy technical manager have pointy hair?

He had virtually no hair and even less brain under it. He would have made a perfect politician.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 pm

catgate wrote:
Ram wrote:Cough cough, hadn't I already suggest that. :wink:

When I look back at your reply I must agree that you indeed did suggest that.
The odd thing is that at the time of reading it I was quite unsure of what you meant, (remember you are dealing with an octogenarian retard!), and only after reading aj's reply, and farting about a little, did I begin to understand.
I have an old lifelong chum who lives (well exists) in a care home up in Guisborough, and the poor chap is paralysed down one side and can only grunt. I shall be coming up to visit him in the next week or two, so I shall call in and you can kick my arse for being thick :oops:

I am left with no clue as to what is causing this:-

The outcome is that now, although I appear to have the "right" bits, when I try to fire up, from the Graphics drop down panel, all I get is a little arrow circulating clockwise in a small white blob.

edit:- Correction.
The little arrows that are circulating are not arrows but pulsating ovoids.

Suppose I could have worded it better.

Which care home ?

Not sure this will work but here goes.

Right click Applications > Edit Menu > Select Graphics ( left hand pane ) In the Right Hand Pane highlight GIMP Image Editor > select Properties

Type: Application
Name: GIMP Image Editor
Command: gimp-2.6 %U <- Yours probably points to 2.7
Comment: Create images and edit photographs

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Ram wrote:
Which care home ?

I'm not sure of its name, but it is siituated on the west side of Northgate near the town end. We drive down the north side of it and into a car park at the rear. It has a large conservatory there.
When we go we are usually guided by his wife, who we pick up from their house just of Hutton Lane. She is riddled with rheum.athrit. poor love.

I will have a crack at your recipe on the morrow. Tis now cot time.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:06 pm

That sounds like Moorlands where my Gran is.

Ram
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:26 am

Ram wrote:That sounds like Moorlands where my Gran is.

I do believe it is something ...land. Although from what I have seen of the staff and patients it does not appear to be la-la land.

I carried out your procedure and came up with an entry
Command:gimp-2.6 %U

When I hit "browse" it took me to my home folder, and there, nestling side by side, (well.. one above the other) were gimp-2.6 and gimp-2.7!!

My first inclination was to simply delete gimp-2.7, but having seen what often happens when one takes the obvious route I thought it best to report back to base and take instruction...please.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:54 am

For now I'd just rename the .gimp-2.7 folder to something like .gimp-2.7-old it should only hold any customisation you set for that version of Gimp.

Can you run up Gimp from a terminal, does it give any errors.

In a terminal type

Code: Select all
gimp-2.6

Ram
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm

I get
"catgate@catgate-desktop:~$ gimp-2.6
gimp-2.6: error while loading shared libraries: libgegl-0.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
catgate@catgate-desktop:~$ "

When I go and look at SPM I find I have a file "libgegl-0.0.-0" but no "libgegl-0.0.so.0".

Could the "libgegl-0.0.so.0" be an error in the file which is trying to fire up gimp 2.6?

edit:-
I renamed the gimp 2.7 folder to gimp2.7old and gave thing a whirl but I was only rewarded once more by a display of complete indifference and a bunch of rotating ovoids.

Now should I shake another six and then pass GO without collecting £200???
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Plenty of people have this error...

Can you run the following in a terminate.
ls -l /usr/lib/libgegl*

My output is

ram@ram:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/libgegl*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     21 2010-04-30 02:35 /usr/lib/libgegl-0.0.so.0 -> libgegl-0.0.so.0.22.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 317408 2010-03-05 04:47 /usr/lib/libgegl-0.0.so.0.22.0

Ram
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 pm

I get :-
catgate@catgate-desktop:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/libgegl*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1133 2010-09-10 20:41 /usr/lib/libgegl-0.1.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2012-06-25 19:42 /usr/lib/libgegl-0.1.so.0 -> libgegl-0.1.so.0.102.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 343660 2010-09-10 20:41 /usr/lib/libgegl-0.1.so.0.102.1
catgate@catgate-desktop:~$

I also get nothing but admiration for those amongst us who can really understand it.
It appears to me as though this too is trying to cope with a difficult choice.
edit:-
The second line "/usr/lib/libgegl-0.1.so.0" is in blue on my screen.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm

You can try the following from a terminal

sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get purge gimp libgegl* libbabl*
        sudo apt-get install gimp
        sudo apt-get clean

That should clean up gimp and remove the wrong files from /usr/lib if not then they may need to be manually removed, I'd back them up first before deleting.

If you have to manually delete the files you may then need to re-run the above again.

Ram
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Help!