Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello and erm perhaps a help request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Hello and erm perhaps a help request Reply with quote

Hi all
I've been something of an avid reader now for a few months so first of all I just want to say, "Hi and thank you for bringing out the happy little nerd in me which I'd forgotten that I was."

I used to be mad into computing as a kid working with ZX81's, Commodore 64's etc before moving on to the MSX and the Amiga. I dabbled with programming until I found the PC and Windows polluted my brain.

I've now reverted and have been using Linux more and more over the past few months though I still have Windows simply for gaming. It's about time they brought out software so that I can play WoW on Linux....

Anyhoo I've been reading through LF159 again and now I finally have some time spare I'm trying to get e-uae operational so that I can play some of the old Amiga games but one problem I'm facing is where to download the workbench from so I wondered if anyone could help at all? So far the places I've found aren't proving to be reliable.

Thanks to anyone/everyone who has tried to read through this small novel and thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to point me in the right direction.
dhester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workbench and the kickstrat roms are available from a number of sources. I can't give links but try using the words amiga workbench download.

Or you can purchase amigaforever which is a legal way of getting the roms and workbench (various different versions). The basic version is 9.99 euros or the pro version is 29.99 euros.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amiga ROMs are copyrighted and not freely distributable, any links you get will be to pirated software.

As dhester says, buy Amiga Forever, you get legal copies of the ROMs and OS and good support.
Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for the sake of 7 or 8 the Amiga Forever version is probably best. Thanks for the pointers, initially I'd only seen the 29 pro version which seemed a bit steep, at least for what I wanted it for

* quick update * the value edition is for Windows only

Last edited by Cossack on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
reklan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW can run excellently on linux..

all you really need is to install wine from your distro's software manager, and install WoW.. there are plenty of articles that help you..

this is probably the best

http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warcraft_functionality_on_Wine
Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's grand thanks, I'd been told it wouldn't work so I hadn't looked into it. Lesson learned.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: