Complete Newbie Mythbuntu Query

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Pork William » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I ditched Windows a week ago, and to say that I'm delighted with Linux (Ubuntu) on my laptop is an understatement! Still finding my way around the OS, so am always appreciative of the kindness of strangers!

Ok, I have a 500GB hard drive with movies on, and I'd like to be able to watch these on my (non-HD, but HDMI connection) TV. As I understand it, I need a PC with Mythubuntu installed, and if connected to my TV, I can watch the movies that way.

Could anybody suggest a real idiot-proof website that explains the procedure? I am not knowledgeable about PC hardware in the slightest; supposedly I need a PC that has a video card that will connect to my TV's HDMI connection?

I would want this setup strictly to watch films on my TV that are installed on my hard drive.

I would be most grateful for any information that anybody might be able to give me.

Best wishes,
Pork William

Postby nordle » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:10 pm

If you are not planning on building a PVR/DVR/Media Centre, ie are not planning to record Freeview TV, then MythTV is possibly overkill.
IT also depends how integrated you want it to be, by that I mean would you be happy with a small PC or laptop that sits under your TV and you walk up to it to play/pause/stop video that is just connected from the VGA out of the laptop or DVI of a desktop to VGA/SCART/HDMI of TV. Or do you want a shiny box that looks similar to other Home Entertainment equipment that you control from the comfort of your sofa via remote control?

The former is a doddle to setup, the later would require a lot more effort.

My dad just uses a VGA to VGA cable from his laptop to the TV.
I've got a DVI to HDMI converter, HDMI to HDMI lead from PC in shiny silver box to TV. The PC has two Freeview tuner cards and can record/play 8 channels at once operated by a Soundtouch iMON remote.

The MythTV wiki is a good place to start. But really, if you just want to play your videos you already have, a standard PC/laptop with Xubuntu and VLC + Mplayer installed would be fine.

I'm starting to think I should build MythTV boxes for a living and jack in the day job :) Wyliecyote might be up for limited liability partnership :)
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:04 am

If your laptop has hdmi output you can clone your display and watch your movies on your TV.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:20 am

nordle wrote:I'm starting to think I should build MythTV boxes for a living and jack in the day job :) Wyliecyote might be up for limited liability partnership :)

:)

XBMC is looking good these days, but MythTV also gets better with each new version.

I use Mythbuntu on an MSI media PC, dual DBTV tuner , with the HDMI passed through an Onkyo AV receiver to a 23" monitor via a HDMI/DVI lead.

After a bit of faffing around, I can now ditch all of the AV leads but 3 (1 each for my DVD player and PC to the Onkyo, and one from the Onkyo to the monitor).

No more need for loads of coax, phono/minijack adaptors,etc.

The Onkyo is a great piece of kit, and it all sounds great. Wish I'd bought one sooner.
Mind you, WAF is not high, especially when she saw the size of the Sub.....
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:26 am

is that Wife Approval Factor? :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Pork William » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks ever-so much for all the information; it's very kind of you all to help me out.

Thanks again, and best wishes...
Pork William

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:38 am

towy71 wrote:is that Wife Approval Factor? :roll:

Got it in one:)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Re: Complete Newbie Mythbuntu Query

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:44 am

Pork William wrote:Thanks ever-so much for all the information; it's very kind of you all to help me out.

Thanks again, and best wishes...

No problem, I would look at XBMC, a bit like a Linux version of media centre.
Or, if you just want to play movies, VLC is very good.
Does your PC have a DVI or HDMI output? either will do, and you can get adapters to convert between them.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Help!