Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete Newbie Mythbuntu Query

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pork William

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Complete Newbie Mythbuntu Query Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I ditched Windows a week ago, and to say that I'm delighted with Linux (Ubuntu) on my laptop is an understatement! Still finding my way around the OS, so am always appreciative of the kindness of strangers!

Ok, I have a 500GB hard drive with movies on, and I'd like to be able to watch these on my (non-HD, but HDMI connection) TV. As I understand it, I need a PC with Mythubuntu installed, and if connected to my TV, I can watch the movies that way.

Could anybody suggest a real idiot-proof website that explains the procedure? I am not knowledgeable about PC hardware in the slightest; supposedly I need a PC that has a video card that will connect to my TV's HDMI connection?

I would want this setup strictly to watch films on my TV that are installed on my hard drive.

I would be most grateful for any information that anybody might be able to give me.

Best wishes,
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not planning on building a PVR/DVR/Media Centre, ie are not planning to record Freeview TV, then MythTV is possibly overkill.
IT also depends how integrated you want it to be, by that I mean would you be happy with a small PC or laptop that sits under your TV and you walk up to it to play/pause/stop video that is just connected from the VGA out of the laptop or DVI of a desktop to VGA/SCART/HDMI of TV. Or do you want a shiny box that looks similar to other Home Entertainment equipment that you control from the comfort of your sofa via remote control?

The former is a doddle to setup, the later would require a lot more effort.

My dad just uses a VGA to VGA cable from his laptop to the TV.
I've got a DVI to HDMI converter, HDMI to HDMI lead from PC in shiny silver box to TV. The PC has two Freeview tuner cards and can record/play 8 channels at once operated by a Soundtouch iMON remote.

The MythTV wiki is a good place to start. But really, if you just want to play your videos you already have, a standard PC/laptop with Xubuntu and VLC + Mplayer installed would be fine.

I'm starting to think I should build MythTV boxes for a living and jack in the day job Smile Wyliecyote might be up for limited liability partnership Smile
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your laptop has hdmi output you can clone your display and watch your movies on your TV.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordle wrote:

I'm starting to think I should build MythTV boxes for a living and jack in the day job Smile Wyliecyote might be up for limited liability partnership Smile

Smile

XBMC is looking good these days, but MythTV also gets better with each new version.

I use Mythbuntu on an MSI media PC, dual DBTV tuner , with the HDMI passed through an Onkyo AV receiver to a 23" monitor via a HDMI/DVI lead.

After a bit of faffing around, I can now ditch all of the AV leads but 3 (1 each for my DVD player and PC to the Onkyo, and one from the Onkyo to the monitor).

No more need for loads of coax, phono/minijack adaptors,etc.

The Onkyo is a great piece of kit, and it all sounds great. Wish I'd bought one sooner.
Mind you, WAF is not high, especially when she saw the size of the Sub.....

towy71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that Wife Approval Factor? Rolling Eyes
Pork William

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Complete Newbie Mythbuntu Query Reply with quote

Thanks ever-so much for all the information; it's very kind of you all to help me out.

Thanks again, and best wishes...
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
is that Wife Approval Factor? Rolling Eyes

Got it in one:)

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Newbie Mythbuntu Query Reply with quote

Pork William wrote:
Thanks ever-so much for all the information; it's very kind of you all to help me out.

Thanks again, and best wishes...

No problem, I would look at XBMC, a bit like a Linux version of media centre.
Or, if you just want to play movies, VLC is very good.
Does your PC have a DVI or HDMI output? either will do, and you can get adapters to convert between them.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: