Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sleepy monitor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Sleepy monitor Reply with quote

When I switch on my PC and monitor recently, the monitor has a message stating ' VGA input; no signal'. The monitor then goes to sleep mode and nothing I can do seems to work.

At the moment I'm using my TV as a monitor. The VGA leads all seem to be OK, why my TV works and not the monitor I don't know?

When I went to an electrical store the other day to check out the leads I noticed that the lead I am using says for 17" monitors or less, yet my monitor is 21" or so (it's the lead that was supplied with the PC). I have an adapter that attaches to the VGA lead and into the base unit.

Anyone have any suggestions as to possible solutions?

edit: The TV monitor is about 15", I think.
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can only guess with the info you've provided. In order to diagnose the problem, you're going to have to make the effort to swap out or test the PC, cable, and VGA-input of your monitor with different hardware. Can you connect the display to another PC? Does your PC have a discrete graphics card? Maybe it is not seated properly, or maybe it has failed.
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the comment about 17" monitors - that sounds like a bit of an attempt to sell more expensive leads. Any suitable lead should work, given the correct connection types.

Quote:
I have an adapter that attaches to the VGA lead and into the base unit

This bit worries me - does that mean you don't have standard 15-pin VGA connectors at both TV and PC? Any converter could be the cause of trouble.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrari wrote:
One can only guess with the info you've provided. In order to diagnose the problem, you're going to have to make the effort to swap out or test the PC, cable, and VGA-input of your monitor with different hardware. Can you connect the display to another PC? Does your PC have a discrete graphics card? Maybe it is not seated properly, or maybe it has failed.

I have only one PC, ferrari, so can't test on any other. I did use another identical VGA cable, with the same result.

I don't know what a discrete graphics car is?

Thanks
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandnsmith wrote:
Don't worry about the comment about 17" monitors - that sounds like a bit of an attempt to sell more expensive leads. Any suitable lead should work, given the correct connection types.

Quote:
I have an adapter that attaches to the VGA lead and into the base unit

This bit worries me - does that mean you don't have standard 15-pin VGA connectors at both TV and PC? Any converter could be the cause of trouble.

Sorry, my description of the problem is a bit vague.

I have the 15 pin VGA connectors, it attaches to the monitor just plugging in but is attached to a converter at the base unit. The converter is three rows of eight pins and to the right of those, four pins in a square formation with another centrally, IIRC. I could not source this adapter at the usual outlets.

The strange thing is, also at the back of the unit is a black blanking plate that looks suspiciously similar in size to the 15 pin adapter. It has 'do not remove' printed on it, hmm.

The converter at the bottom of the base unit is fitted into one of the two slots that have metal plate covers that I suppose can be taken off to add something or other to the PC. This strikes me as strange, as I would have thought that as the PC is a complete unit it would just plug and play so to speak, the base unit and the monitor connecting without the need for any additional converter?
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing strange about having a DVI-I interface on the graphics card, and the use of a DVI --> VGA adapter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Wikipedia wrote:
As well as digital signals, the DVI connector includes pins providing the same analog signals found on a VGA connector, allowing an analog VGA monitor to be connected with a passive plug adapter

The adapter is passive (doesn't do anything, other than a straight pin to pin pass through), so is *unlikely* to be the cause of the problem... unless you've bent a pin Wink

The black blanking plate, as you suspect, is probably covering a VGA (D-sub 15) interface for an "onboard" (built into the motherboard) graphics card.

Enabling the onboard graphics card usually requires the removal of the "add-in" graphics card, and/or *sometimes* a change to a setting in the BIOS.

There is a possibility that (if the BIOS/CMOS battery has ever fully discharged) the BIOS has been reset to enable the onboard graphics card rather than the add-in card.
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as PCNetSpec has mentioned you have a DVI-I connector. A discrete graphics card is a separate card that plugs in to the motherboard (inside the PC). Integrated or on-board graphics is built in to motherboard.
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a vague thought of seeing this sort of problem before, so googled for it and got this

HTH
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCNetSpec wrote:
There is nothing strange about having a DVI-I interface on the graphics card, and the use of a DVI --> VGA adapter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Wikipedia wrote:
As well as digital signals, the DVI connector includes pins providing the same analog signals found on a VGA connector, allowing an analog VGA monitor to be connected with a passive plug adapter

The adapter is passive (doesn't do anything, other than a straight pin to pin pass through), so is *unlikely* to be the cause of the problem... unless you've bent a pin Wink

The black blanking plate, as you suspect, is probably covering a VGA (D-sub 15) interface for an "onboard" (built into the motherboard) graphics card.

Enabling the onboard graphics card usually requires the removal of the "add-in" graphics card, and/or *sometimes* a change to a setting in the BIOS.

There is a possibility that (if the BIOS/CMOS battery has ever fully discharged) the BIOS has been reset to enable the onboard graphics card rather than the add-in card.

When you say the adapter is passive, do you mean the VGA lead or the erm, adapter that plugs into the base unit, PCNetSpec? I noticed that the adapter at the base unit has a small nut detached from either the base unit or the adapter itself. There is one attached to the adapter and one attached to the metal blanking plate, they were both fixed to the same thing originally, I don't know which though, neither seems to want to budge?

I take it the add-in card must produce better quality or it would just be a case of connecting to the 'black plate' connection?

I'm beginning to think it's the 'nuts' attached to the adapter or the metal plate, not being attached properly or broken, as when I used the TV monitor I couldn't get any graphics, I then moved the adapter about at the back and the graphics came up immediately. At the moment I'm using the original monitor with no problem at all?

So, it could be: The adapter
The graphics card in BIOS

If I was to take off the black cover and attach the VGA would that be a problem?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrari wrote:
Yes, as PCNetSpec has mentioned you have a DVI-I connector. A discrete graphics card is a separate card that plugs in to the motherboard (inside the PC). Integrated or on-board graphics is built in to motherboard.

Thanks, ferrari. I'm learning all the time here!

Are DVI-I connectors easy enough to come by?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandnsmith wrote:
I had a vague thought of seeing this sort of problem before, so googled for it and got this

HTH

Thanks, dandnsmith. That's the problem right there. I may have to delve in to the scary, for me, world of BIOS.
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
When you say the adapter is passive, do you mean the VGA lead or the erm, adapter that plugs into the base unit, PCNetSpec? I noticed that the adapter at the base unit has a small nut detached from either the base unit or the adapter itself. There is one attached to the adapter and one attached to the metal blanking plate, they were both fixed to the same thing originally, I don't know which though, neither seems to want to budge?

I mean the the DVI to VGA adapter.

Those 2 little "nuts" (with a screw thread on the end) are supposed to be screwed into the back of your PC (not attached to the DVI to VGA adapter).

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
I take it the add-in card must produce better quality or it would just be a case of connecting to the 'black plate' connection?

The add-in is *usually* the better card, but there's no harm in trying the onboard graphics.

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
I'm beginning to think it's the 'nuts' attached to the adapter or the metal plate, not being attached properly or broken, as when I used the TV monitor I couldn't get any graphics, I then moved the adapter about at the back and the graphics came up immediately. At the moment I'm using the original monitor with no problem at all?

OK, now I'm confused... I thought you said the monitor didn't work?

Does the "TV Monitor" connect to the DVI to VGA adapter?

Does the "Original Monitor" connect to the DVI to VGA adapter?

If *ANYTHING* works whist using the DVI to VGA adapter, then it is NOT an issue with the DVI to VGA adapter, the BIOS, or the add-in graphics card... unless (as you suggest) it's just a bad connection.

Obviously if one monitor works when connected to the same graohics card using the same DVI to VGA adapter, but another monitor doesn't... it's the monitor that is at fault.

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
If I was to take off the black cover and attach the VGA would that be a problem?

No, but you would probably have to remove the add-in graphics card, and/or select "onboard graphics" (or similar) in the BIOS.

One other suggestion... if you've been wiggling the cables about whilst they are connected to the back of your PC, it might be a good idea to check the add-in card is seated properly in the motherboard.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCNetSpec wrote:
OK, now I'm confused... I thought you said the monitor didn't work?

Sorry, I can see why you might be confused. The monitor is now working, after some technical wiggling of the adapter.

PCNetSpec wrote:
Does the "TV Monitor" connect to the DVI to VGA adapter?

Does the "Original Monitor" connect to the DVI to VGA adapter?

Yes, they both do.

PCNetSpec wrote:
One other suggestion... if you've been wiggling the cables about whilst they are connected to the back of your PC, it might be a good idea to check the add-in card is seated properly in the motherboard.

Thanks, I will.

For what it's worth, When I log in after booting up, nine times out of ten the screen will stay blank except for the purplish colours of Ubuntu 11.04, the Desktop does not appear and I have to re-boot until it does. Also on startup, I am informed that the monitor resolution is 640 x something or other when it should be 1000ishx something or other, yet in the menu on the monitor it appears that the full resolution is 1000x...

Could that be related in any way to the monitor entering sleep mode?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, it's good to be able to eliminate certain possibilities.
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything's possible Wink

Try adding a vesa mode as a kernel boot parameter, such as

vesa=791

(1024x768 16bit)

Other common vesa modes can be seen here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

It would be helpful to know what the exact (working) graphics resolution is when your system is running properly.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCNetSpec wrote:
Anything's possible Wink

Try adding a vesa mode as a kernel boot parameter, such as

vesa=791

(1024x768 16bit)

Other common vesa modes can be seen here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

It would be helpful to know what the exact (working) graphics resolution is when your system is running properly.

And I add the vesa mode in the BIOS?

About what the actual resolution is when working properly, I don't know?

Thanks.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: