Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Network Usage Monitoring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strawberry_Jam_Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Network Usage Monitoring Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm in dispute with BT over the amount of data we are consuming each month. Our usage on myBT is (vastly) at odds with the log on our HomeHub and my gut feeling as to what we should consume. This seems to be a common problem on BT broadband support forums without any clear explanation or solution. Therefore I need to monitor the amount of data we upload and download before I can go any further with BT support or OFCOM.

On my network I have a dedicated 24/7 fileserver so not all network traffic is destined for BT. Therefore my problem is how to monitor the amount of data going through to BT. Maybe I should replace the HomeHub with an old Netgear router (used as a WAP at the momment) and flash it with DD-WRT or Tomato? Would this give me daily totals that could be emailed to me each day? The other option would be to put another NIC in the fileserver and use it as a proxy, but here my network and Linux skills run out.

I'm leaning towards the proxy solution because its something new to tinker and learn with. Does anyone have advice, more elegant solutions, links to technical resources that might help before I start and pull my (working) network to pieces?

Many thanks,

Russell.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often the cause of this is use of peer to peer applications, which cache data on your PC, uploading it to other users.
Examples include, (but are not limited to)
Bittorrent
iPlayer
Spotify
Squid is the most used proxy server, but I would not recommend using a fileserver as a router.
We use Smoothwall, and there is a free community edition, which can run on an older PC with 2 NICs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: