Serious problem with installation of Ubuntu 12.04 coverdisk

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Serious problem with installation of Ubuntu 12.04 coverdisk

Postby ReneZ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi, I'm having a serious issue with the installation of Ubuntu 12.04 on my computer. I had 11.10 on it with some flash issues, so wanted to upgrade.
Using the cover disk it seems to install OK until it gets to the part where it installs the software (shows in a little menu) and eventually it halts at 'creating user' with the completion bar at the bottom of the little menu showing about 15% complete. I can click in the window (looks like a little terminal window) but nothing I type in results in an action. Only thing left is to stop the machine. If I then restart I have to keep the cd in otherwise the machine doesn't start into Ubuntu but comes up with a grub prompt. Meantime computer unusable. Appreciate all help!!
Cheers, Rene
ReneZ

Postby towy71 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Have you tried Xubuntu? It worked well for me but Ubuntu didn't
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby ReneZ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Well, as I can't install Ubuntu, why would you think I can install Xubuntu? Experience with this?
Cheers, Rene
ReneZ

Postby Ram » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:18 pm

The 15% is where the hard disk formated is completed I believe so not started the OS install.

Can you not run the cover disk as a LiveCD ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 pm

I did not use the LXF DVD to install but a downloaded iso file burned to DVD. On my system both ubuntu and xubuntu would not install, the whole installer crashing leaving a spinning cursor but nothing happening. It did not matter whether I used the live system to install or chose "Install" from the first menu, the same crash happened.

A search showed quickly that some users, and it's difficult to see any pattern, are having problems running the ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntuwhich shows on screen when installing. Running the command
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu
(or the -xubuntu version) would allow the installation to proceed with no problem. Perhaps that is worth a try with the LXF DVD version. It certainly allowed me to install the Lubuntu 12.04 from live CD.

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/996568
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:05 pm

I had a number of issues with 12.04 after installing it from a downloaded CD. As a result, only this morning I ditched the CD and downloaded another one.
This loaded without problem, but with a lot of updates too.
(I have not yet managed to move all three screen controls back to the right hand side. Only the "Close" one is willing to oblige at present.)
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby ReneZ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks team, appreciate the responses. Regretfully I don't seem to be able to enter a command in the install window. Do I understand you correctly that I should enter the above line in Terminal once the install crashes or to do it before install starts?
Meantime I found out that install would run OK if I allowed it to use the whole hard disk as one. As that is not my intention I then managed to create a /home share. However now I have issues with access. I can only access the system as guest. If I try to log in on the named account it accepts the password, but then shows a terminal like window showing kernel (I guess) activity, where about 20 lines get started for it then to hold on a line that holds Plymouth (I think, as immediately after the system refers to the normal log-in screen).
Funnily enough when I need to enter my password for installs and updates (whilst logged in as Guest) it accepts my password (as administrator??).
Linux does keep you on your toes.
Cheers, Rene
ReneZ

Postby ajgreeny » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:12 am

Boot the live CD to the desktop, then Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal, and enter the command
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu
No password is needed in live session, but it will still work. Then try installing by double clicking on the "Install ubuntu" icon. That is how I managed a successful Lubuntu installation.

However, your problems seem much more fundamental than that, and I'm not sure where to tell you to go next.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Return to Help!