Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serious problem with installation of Ubuntu 12.04 coverdisk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReneZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Serious problem with installation of Ubuntu 12.04 coverdisk Reply with quote

Hi, I'm having a serious issue with the installation of Ubuntu 12.04 on my computer. I had 11.10 on it with some flash issues, so wanted to upgrade.
Using the cover disk it seems to install OK until it gets to the part where it installs the software (shows in a little menu) and eventually it halts at 'creating user' with the completion bar at the bottom of the little menu showing about 15% complete. I can click in the window (looks like a little terminal window) but nothing I type in results in an action. Only thing left is to stop the machine. If I then restart I have to keep the cd in otherwise the machine doesn't start into Ubuntu but comes up with a grub prompt. Meantime computer unusable. Appreciate all help!!
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Xubuntu? It worked well for me but Ubuntu didn't
ReneZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I can't install Ubuntu, why would you think I can install Xubuntu? Experience with this?
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15% is where the hard disk formated is completed I believe so not started the OS install.

Can you not run the cover disk as a LiveCD ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not use the LXF DVD to install but a downloaded iso file burned to DVD. On my system both ubuntu and xubuntu would not install, the whole installer crashing leaving a spinning cursor but nothing happening. It did not matter whether I used the live system to install or chose "Install" from the first menu, the same crash happened.

A search showed quickly that some users, and it's difficult to see any pattern, are having problems running the ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntuwhich shows on screen when installing. Running the command
Code:
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu
(or the -xubuntu version) would allow the installation to proceed with no problem. Perhaps that is worth a try with the LXF DVD version. It certainly allowed me to install the Lubuntu 12.04 from live CD.

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/996568
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a number of issues with 12.04 after installing it from a downloaded CD. As a result, only this morning I ditched the CD and downloaded another one.
This loaded without problem, but with a lot of updates too.
(I have not yet managed to move all three screen controls back to the right hand side. Only the "Close" one is willing to oblige at present.)
ReneZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks team, appreciate the responses. Regretfully I don't seem to be able to enter a command in the install window. Do I understand you correctly that I should enter the above line in Terminal once the install crashes or to do it before install starts?
Meantime I found out that install would run OK if I allowed it to use the whole hard disk as one. As that is not my intention I then managed to create a /home share. However now I have issues with access. I can only access the system as guest. If I try to log in on the named account it accepts the password, but then shows a terminal like window showing kernel (I guess) activity, where about 20 lines get started for it then to hold on a line that holds Plymouth (I think, as immediately after the system refers to the normal log-in screen).
Funnily enough when I need to enter my password for installs and updates (whilst logged in as Guest) it accepts my password (as administrator??).
Linux does keep you on your toes.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot the live CD to the desktop, then Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal, and enter the command
Code:
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu
No password is needed in live session, but it will still work. Then try installing by double clicking on the "Install ubuntu" icon. That is how I managed a successful Lubuntu installation.

However, your problems seem much more fundamental than that, and I'm not sure where to tell you to go next.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: