Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rsyslog vs syslog

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: rsyslog vs syslog Reply with quote

The latest issue has an article about 'rsyslog'. There is mention of the previous 'syslog' and 'syslog-ng' for distributing system info to the logfiles in /var, with an example of the config file for syslog.

No mention in the article but is it much more comprehensive or fine structured so the config for rsyslog allows for _definite_ warning levels to go to specific logfiles without duplication?

Never mind all the spare disk space, I hate to find the same huge pile of boot-up info from the 'dmesg' file, including almost 400 lines about the 'pnp/pci reserved memory', appearing in 'messages' 'syslog' and 'user' along with other entries they share.

Now, if I could replace syslog to stop all that Very Happy
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use pipes in good'ol' Unix fashion to filter out unwanted portions of the file. And redirect it then to a suitable file for you to open in your fav. editor/textreader Smile Forget the GUI, it's not even there if you seriously bork your system. Learn the cli, it's way more powerful then you'd think Wink
kord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emm, where would a GUI be involved in this?

To see the logs I 'su' in a terminal and use Midnight Commander then hopefully remove the dupe guff before logrotate does a gzip.

And if the 'pipes' suggestion is only relevant to syslog, do I take it that's a post-log thing meaning the dupe info still is spread by syslog and the pipes help filter for reading?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: