Scripts and online payments

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Scripts and online payments

Postby GeordieJedi » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi all.

(Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place. Please move if necessary).

/Rant mode on

Right, I've just tried to pay my council tax online today, twice in the last couple of hours.

Each time I've been thwarted by bloody scripts.
(N.B I use Firefox with Adblock-plus and No script)

I enter all of my details properly. I double/triple check my info.
I finally get to the last page (the payment processing screen)
and it falls over (I suspect that it's a combination of the "verified by Visa"
and using No script)

1st time - Noscript turned on and working as normal.
2nd time - I allow scripts on the damn pages in question and they still don't work !!

Gaaaggghhhh.

I'm trying to give the government some money.
Stop making it difficult !!

Are scripts really necessary to complete something like this ?
Or are they essential ??

/Rant mode off.

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to vent.
Grrrrrr.
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 am

The server at that gov office maybe a M$ one and expecting iexplorer as your browser or something equally stupid don't blame Linux yet :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:28 am

Try a different browser.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby catgate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:29 pm

I would be inclined to write to the Chairman of the council and point out to him that you are taking the fact that you can not pay your tax online as a sign that they do not want your money.
Pointing out that you are quite willing to pay, and if they do change their minds, and want you to pay, you will pay, if they notify you, in writing, of their alteration to their site.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby guy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:53 pm

Better still, write to the Council and inform them that their site is not secure and standards-compliant, as mandated by the Cabinet Office. Remind them of their obligations under current law to provide web services which are secure, standards-compliant and open to all users of compliant browsers. Your system is w3c compliant, theirs is not. Javascript is open to known exploits, and its use is therefore not secure. (You might even point out that if major sites such as Amazon can conduct secure online transactions without resort to javascript, and accessible to any standards-compliant browser, then they can too).

Ask them to explain to you why they are breaking a Cabinet Office mandate, and when do they propose to offer you an online payment method which meets your needs as a taxpayer. Or, can they confirm to you in writing that they expect you to lower your security settings before making payment, and that they therefore take responsibility for any consequences of your acting on their request?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:10 pm

An and on to guy's comment say you are cc'ing all correspondence to the Cabinet Office might put the paper shufflers in fear of God :roll:

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:53 pm

If it's the "Verified by Visa" bit that's breaking things then that's a function of your card provider, not the Council so if you do write the council/cabinet office/queen they're likely to tell you to choose another way to pay.

Of course you could try complaining to your bank/credit card company and see where that gets you, but don't hold your breath.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby guy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 am

Yeah, I have to admit that I do allow javascript for the various "secure" credit card payment sites. Otherwise, it gets pretty impossible to pay online.

But would you rely on a consortium of the major banks to run a site as "secure" as they claim? That's one reason I refuse to use my debit card online - if someone empties my credit card account, it's their money and their fault, not mine.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Return to Help!