Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to STOP Google&Bing changeing my language?Its ANNOYI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splash

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: How to STOP Google&Bing changeing my language?Its ANNOYI Reply with quote

I arrived in Switzerland when i started in the French part ALL search results were in French,as i moved to the German part German Confused
Then google didnt work at all,click on results got time out or problem loading page.Changed to Bing which dosnt have the choise of US,UK,Chine specific search as google so again all site in German Sad

Then i went to the google android aps store to get instagram the page was in German

OK i found at the bottem a language change BUT HOW can i stop pages being displayed in the local language???????

I dont mean say a French site for French people i mean sites that start off as English language sites with translations into say French

Bings the worst.its now fast better than google recently but no way to tell it my first language is English Rolling Eyes
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How to STOP Google&Bing changeing my language?Its AN Reply with quote

splash wrote:
my first language is English
Really? I didn't notice...

Google bases the language choice on location, so simply put: don't move! Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Mr. Green
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're logged into your Google account, you can set your preferred language in the language section of your settings.
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to log in, or don't have a Google account, then using https://www.google.com seems to override every other setting for me. Failing that, use NoScript to stop the scripting, see if that stops language auto-select.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is trying to install software from Google Market/Play/Whateveritscalledthis week, he must have a Google account.
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
If he is trying to install software from Google Market/Play/Whateveritscalledthis week, he must have a Google account.

True. I got onto autopilot with that little addition. Embarassed

Point about perhaps not wanting to log in to search still holds, though. Smile
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the url in the toolbar. Is it insisting on .fr or .ge? I sometimes want to choose between .uk and .com (USA). On my Android I have resorted to bookmarking each, as in http://www.google.co.uk/ and http://www.google.com (can't remember if the end slash matters), and Google seems to respect that.

Worth a try, would be interested to know how you get on.
JustSomeGeek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's any help, but when i want to use google.de in the UK it always comes up in English (really annoying), but underneath the search box is a small link to change it to German.

I'd guess that the opposite might also apply and show an option to view a US/UK Google in English when abroad?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: