Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mepis Distro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Mepis Distro Reply with quote

I am posting to recommend Mepis. I had been happily using OpenSuse recently, but an upgrade went wrong, got in a real mess with the video driver. So I am giving Mepis (v11.0) a try.

I use KDE and wanted a KDE distro as I can't help feeling that any distro gives its default GUI the most love - and you will be with the majority users in the distro forum.

Anyway, I had been put off Mepis as it is often described as a "beginner's" distro (used to be called "Simply Mepis") and I am not a beginner. But that's because, as I found, it is easy to install, not because it is reduced in functionality (or Windows-ified !) in any way once installed. It is a straightforward, "traditional" Linux. It is easy in that things like codecs and video drivers are there, you don't need to go searching for them. The wireless link from my Acer laptop worked straight-off (using it now). Mepis is based on Debian Stable, and you can use both Mepis and Debian repositories.

Sorry to sound like a commercial, but I am really pleased with it so far. It is a pity it has not been on a LXF cover disk since (I think) Issue 140 (v8.2), although v11.0 was given a good review in LXF147 Distro Watch.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: